Discuss Megger 1553 or seperates? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

claret73

Hi
Apologise for yet another 'What Test Kit' Post...
Just before I part with cash have narrowed it & am after opinions please.

Am looking to buy for College 2330 L3, as cannot get into the Flukes. Have started using Megger seperates at work 'Megger PPK220 PPK220-EN-BS MIT320 + LRCD220'
Lots of opinions on here for 1552/3

The MF is £100 cheaper, so unsure what to do? Separates advantage of 1 tester down, still have other & I use these during the day.
Is the MF as good if not better than separates?

Flip a coin hey??
Cheers for any responses

Hi
I think a negative for mft's is that if you loose/break it you loose everything, whereas with individual testers that's not the case. On the positive side mft's work out slightly cheaper, take up less room in the van, probably slightly cheaper to calibrate, don't have to keep changing testers during testing and there is also the software option available with some of them.
I've tried both options and personally prefer mft's. The megger 1553 get's the thumbs up from me although I haven't tried the software yet.

The Megger 1553 is a very good choice. I also learned on separate testers, but since I have the 1553 it is much more easier. The tester works automatically without pressing any buttons so your hand are always "enugh". I defenitivelly recomend this one.

Oh, and forget the espensive software for it, you don`t need that unless you are testing every day whole day. :)

Without doubt MFT. Having separate testers just in case one goes down, you will usually need the one that goes down anyway and you still cannot do your full testing anyway so no point. It is much easier to have the one. They have quick turn rounds now on repairs if it should go faulty. If you are Part P registered you have to have your tester calibrated every 12 months, about £80 per tester so if you have separates it will cost you more and you have the messing about of sending 2 rather than one. I know what some of the others are saying, 'don't put all your eggs in one basket' but I don't see an advantage as you cannot make do with just one tester any way.

Without doubt MFT. Having separate testers just in case one goes down, you will usually need the one that goes down anyway and you still cannot do your full testing anyway so no point. It is much easier to have the one. They have quick turn rounds now on repairs if it should go faulty. If you are Part P registered you have to have your tester calibrated every 12 months, about £80 per tester so if you have separates it will cost you more and you have the messing about of sending 2 rather than one. I know what some of the others are saying, 'don't put all your eggs in one basket' but I don't see an advantage as you cannot make do with just one tester any way.

100% agree.

what is the better tester the megger1553 or the fluke1653b?

I my opinion Megger1552/3 gets the nod from me every time, It is a no brain-er as it ticks all the boxes for the KISS [Keep It Simple Stupid] What does it for me is that when you are doing a Zs or R1 - R2 say at a light as soon as probes hit E & L1 you start getting a measurement No button to press so you can concentrate on getting a good connection thus a more accurate measurement.
It has a few draw backs and depends on how you view and how you perceive them I have listed them below.
1] It is not as comfortable as the Fluke if you have it around your neck for long periods.
2] Maybe it is just me but the Yellow Null Button is positioned at the front and I am always knocking it thus void my nilling of test leads.
3] It chews Batteries [ 8 x AA a pop] not an issue if have batteries bought for you but if you pay for them it costs.
4] Found the leads to be expensive to replace have done it twice at £40.00 to inc P&P a pop on Internet. reason for replacing leads the connections into equipment and Croc Clips become loose and connection not good so very erratic measurements. Was alerted to this by the company who do my UKAS calibration Cert and Test.
5] The Croc Clips are the worst in the business they are very poor and light weight. EG when doing say a end to end measurement on a ring with croc clips attached the reading is all over the place unless you pinch the end of croc clips together when conductor is put into jaws. I find I get more consistent readings by removing crocs and firmly pressing probe tips onto conductor with fingers [ Make sure circuit is dead] I am surprised Megger have not improved on this.

They are minor The proof is in the pudding Did MoD contract for 18 months MoD only use Megger period.
Worked on an emergency job for 6 weeks recently I know 2 sparkies with 2391 who had Flukes after using my Megger 1552 have gone out and sold their Flukes on Ebay and bought Megger 1552/3
The job I am on the main contractor has Mentrels which are the biggest load od crap out there [Sorry Mentrel fans but they are] He is going over to Megger before Christmas on watching my Megger and using it,
Enough said.
Mamba [The most vicious and deadly snake in the world] :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I my opinion Megger1552/3 gets the nod from me every time, It is a no brain-er as it ticks all the boxes for the KISS [Keep It Simple Stupid] What does it for me is that when you are doing a Zs or R1 - R2 say at a light as soon as probes hit E & L1 you start getting a measurement No button to press so you can concentrate on getting a good connection thus a more accurate measurement.
It has a few draw backs and depends on how you view and how you perceive them I have listed them below.
1] It is not as comfortable as the Fluke if you have it around your neck for long periods.
2] Maybe it is just me but the Yellow Null Button is positioned at the front and I am always knocking it thus void my nilling of test leads.
3] It chews Batteries [ 8 x AA a pop] not an issue if have batteries bought for you but if you pay for them it costs.
4] Found the leads to be expensive to replace have done it twice at £40.00 to inc P&P a pop on Internet. reason for replacing leads the connections into equipment and Croc Clips become loose and connection not good so very erratic measurements. Was alerted to this by the company who do my UKAS calibration Cert and Test.
5] The Croc Clips are the worst in the business they are very poor and light weight. EG when doing say a end to end measurement on a ring with croc clips attached the reading is all over the place unless you pinch the end of croc clips together when conductor is put into jaws. I find I get more consistent readings by removing crocs and firmly pressing probe tips onto conductor with fingers [ Make sure circuit is dead] I am surprised Megger have not improved on this.

They are minor The proof is in the pudding Did MoD contract for 18 months MoD only use Megger period.
Worked on an emergency job for 6 weeks recently I know 2 sparkies with 2391 who had Flukes after using my Megger 1552 have gone out and sold their Flukes on Ebay and bought Megger 1552/3
The job I am on the main contractor has Mentrels which are the biggest load od crap out there [Sorry Mentrel fans but they are] He is going over to Megger before Christmas on watching my Megger and using it,
Enough said.
Mamba [The most vicious and deadly snake in the world] :eek:

I agree with you about the draw backs with the megger MFT but the useability of the instrument certainly outways these minor draw backs. PS. I don't have to pay for the batts or replacement leads.

The 1553 with bluetooth and powersuite software is a real time saver for me as i test full time.

So 100% vote for the megger MFt 1553.

Hi

Personally i have a kewtech KT65 MFT and love it it has every thing on you will need including phase rotation and earth resistance. i also found there service team very help full.

Before i brought the KT65 i had A kewtech Kit witch i now have as a back up i realy like the kewtech items and the staff are always willing to help

Ben

Reply to Megger 1553 or seperates? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net