Discuss Megger 1720 or 1730 in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

westy2412

Hi all, well after passing my 2391 I'm looking at buying a Megger MFT 1720 or 1730. I can't decided which one to get.
I like the idea of downloading results with the 1730 but is it really worth the extra money or should I just go for the 1720.
What's people thoughts or experience with either tester
Cheers

I bought the 1730 about 10 months ago and it's an awesome piece of kit. The thing which put me off the 1720 was that I couldn't recharge the batteries without taking them out every time.
Megger could have added this feature to the 1720, but then I guess fewer ppl would have bought it :)

i got the 1730 simply because if i develop an ocd , couldnt bear missing coloured segments around the dial :]
on a different perspective i got it because you can recharge the batteries

I forgot all about the rechargeable batteries. That's a good call. Did you get powersuite on site software with yours? If so is it any good?

I really would reconsider before buying the megger we bought 60 of these as a company and have now all been sent back there is a fault with the software which megger did acknowledge with the loop test mainly on Wylex consumer units for some reason. Apart from that they were a good piece of kit, had some problems with ZE readings as well, had supply company out 3 times I was getting well in excess of permitted readings they come out test fine I try again miles away. We swapped for fluke they are slightly more basic and probably not as good of a tester as the megger but at least we can trust the readings.

Got my 1720 few months ago love it. Ok it doesn't have the download and Bluetooth etc of 1730 but hey it's complicated enough for me. As for rechargeable well at least if the AA batteries run out you can get them at any garage or shop. Hope this helps.

I really would reconsider before buying the megger we bought 60 of these as a company and have now all been sent back there is a fault with the software which megger did acknowledge with the loop test mainly on Wylex consumer units for some reason. Apart from that they were a good piece of kit, had some problems with ZE readings as well, had supply company out 3 times I was getting well in excess of permitted readings they come out test fine I try again miles away. We swapped for fluke they are slightly more basic and probably not as good of a tester as the megger but at least we can trust the readings.

Fluke every time

I don't use power suite as I use a MacBook, the latest firmware update has ironed out most problems , I'm going to send it back to megger once a year for calibration as it will be updated all the time. Love mine...

Hi all, well after passing my 2391 I'm looking at buying a Megger MFT 1720 or 1730. I can't decided which one to get.
I like the idea of downloading results with the 1730 but is it really worth the extra money or should I just go for the 1720.
What's people thoughts or experience with either tester
Cheers
Neither. Just get a 1552

There are two versions of the Megger MFT1730. There's the tester itself, and also a version which is called the 'onsite'. The 'onsite' comes supplied with software which enables you to compile test certificates and reports. The 'onsite' version also comes supplied with a lead set that enables you to measure earth resistivity.

The following are the features that the 1730 will offer over the 1720:

1) An insulation resistance test at 100v,
2) A 'B' type (DC Current) RCD Test,
3) Earth resistivity test as per above (1730 'onsite' comes with the leads supplied to do this)
4) The 1730 is rechargeable,
5) The 1730 can store and download results and utilises Bluetooth.

Since the firmware update that was introduced last year the Megger testers have become a lot more stable, having supplied a number of these testers the problem does appear to have been resolved on the newer models. Some testers with older firmware may still experience problems, however if you return it for calibration you can request the firmware is checked, as Megger should update this FOC if it's needed.

My first 1730 gave such erratic readings that I assumed it was faulty and sent it back for replacement. It wasn't untill several weeks later that I learnt it was a firmware issue. Great piece of kit now, but I am disgusted that I had to go through a lot of expense and hassle just to get what I thought would be a fantastic MFT.

I've not had any problems with my 1720, but if you're liable to want to test DC RCDs, do earth rods on a regular basis or want to link it to a pad or laptop and use thier software then maybe the extra for the 1730 is worth it. Personally it wasn't for me but in the end it's what suits you sir!

I bought the 1720 recently. Great tester.
I would have preferred rechargeable 1730 but saying that the 1720 doesn't drain batteries as quickly as I assumed it would but I suppose the more you use it ...........

if only avo megger made mfts with the same build quality as the avo 8s. if only carlsberg made mfts.

Just to add my two penneth'. I bought the 1730 with the onsite software over the 1720, mainly because I’m a bit of a gadget geek! I haven’t had chance to use the software yet, but I’ve read from others it is not as intuitive as ‘Easy Cert’ for example. Megger told me if I get stuck, when one of their engineers is in the area, he would pop and see me to offer advice for an hour.Otherwise, software support only lasts 30 days after purchase, or £179 + vat for 1 year!

What I thought would prove useful, is auto populating an EIC straight from the MFT (as long as I can work out the software). I understand the 1730 does a couple of more tests, and saves you on batteries (8 x AA).

My first 1730 gave such erratic readings that I assumed it was faulty and sent it back for replacement. It wasn't untill several weeks later that I learnt it was a firmware issue. Great piece of kit now, but I am disgusted that I had to go through a lot of expense and hassle just to get what I thought would be a fantastic MFT.

A common case of replacing the past

"is it completely tested and fault free?"

With

"We've spent the testing budget and overrun the release date set by the marketing department, release it, it's been tested enough"

:-(

A common case of replacing the past

"is it completely tested and fault free?"

With

"We've spent the testing budget and overrun the release date set by the marketing department, release it, it's been tested enough"

:-(

Exactly. Good job I don't decide to send in a bill for all the time I messed about trying to sort out something which at the time wasn't "fit-for-purpose". I think we are a very forgiving lot here in Britain.
Would have made it less painful if Megger had at least said "Here's a new lead set for your troubles" :)

Reply to Megger 1720 or 1730 in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net