Discuss Megger 1730 error message FU5 or FUS in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Brendan976

Hi

I have just been testing a freezer compressor as its tripping the RCD. The Megger was working fine but now shows FU5 and wont give a reading on the ohms scale. Anyone had this before? its still under warranty so I am reluctant to take it apart other than checking the fuses inside the battery compartment ( they have checked out fine). This was a dead test the and capacitor was discharged so I cant see what would have blown the fuse. and more to the point where is this fuse located?

Regards

Ben

Normally when either fuse blows on a Megger 17xx (or18xx) series MFT this indicated by a standard fuse symbol; a rectangular box with a horizontal line through it.
When text messages are seen on the display these are usually error codes, you may well have mistaken error code E05 for FUS or FU5.

A low resistance measurement maybe automatically inhibited by the MFT if it senses a voltage of 4V or greater at the test points. Check if you can measure a known resistor, on a check-box for example.
If switching the tester OFF for >30s and switching back ON does not correct matters. Recharge the rechargeable batteries (or replace the alkaline cells) to ensure they are not running low as this can cause instability problems and inhibited testing.
If this still has not resolved the problem enter the maintenance mode (spanner symbol) and restore the manufacturers settings, this should now allow you to measure your known resistance.

Issues beyond this may require a Megger approved service centre for repair or reloading of the firmware.

[FONT=&amp]If your using a Megger MFT17xx (or 18xx) and it has a firmware version earlier than 2.01 installed it would be well worth getting it calibrated and the latest firmware update (usually inclusive in the calibration charge), as this has addressed virtually all the previous instability, variability and RCD test issues. Two wire loop testing is still less than successful, but each firmware update seems to produce a slight improvement[/FONT]

Normally when either fuse blows on a Megger 17xx (or18xx) series MFT this indicated by a standard fuse symbol; a rectangular box with a horizontal line through it.
When text messages are seen on the display these are usually error codes, you may well have mistaken error code E05 for FUS or FU5.

A low resistance measurement maybe automatically inhibited by the MFT if it senses a voltage of 4V or greater at the test points. Check if you can measure a known resistor, on a check-box for example.
If switching the tester OFF for >30s and switching back ON does not correct matters. Recharge the rechargeable batteries (or replace the alkaline cells) to ensure they are not running low as this can cause instability problems and inhibited testing.
If this still has not resolved the problem enter the maintenance mode (spanner symbol) and restore the manufacturers settings, this should now allow you to measure your known resistance.

Issues beyond this may require a Megger approved service centre for repair or reloading of the firmware.

If your using a Megger MFT17xx (or 18xx) and it has a firmware version earlier than 2.01 installed it would be well worth getting it calibrated and the latest firmware update (usually inclusive in the calibration charge), as this has addressed virtually all the previous instability, variability and RCD test issues. Two wire loop testing is still less than successful, but each firmware update seems to produce a slight improvement

Thanks for that, I spoke with Megger tech support today and they have suggested that return it under warranty so that is what I have done. The software is 1.09 but that software was playing up and I have pointed that out in the return covering letter.

Ben

I had this error on mine, realised it was the fuse holder clips not gripping the fuses well enough, (looked perfect at first glance). I removed fuses, gently squeezed grips together more, then reinserted fuses,(much tighter better fit now, No problems / errors since, hope this helps.

If your using a Megger MFT17xx (or 18xx) and it has a firmware version earlier than 2.01 installed it would be well worth getting it calibrated and the latest firmware update (usually inclusive in the calibration charge), as this has addressed virtually all the previous instability, variability and RCD test issues. Two wire loop testing is still less than successful, but each firmware update seems to produce a slight improvement

Thanks for that, I spoke with Megger tech support today and they have suggested that return it under warranty so that is what I have done. The software is 1.09 but that software was playing up and I have pointed that out in the return covering letter.

Ben

Well done mate, a return under warranty to Megger at Dover is the best option, as all issues firmware and hardware should be sorted without charge.
Firmware 1.09 is over a dozen generations old and is highly likely to be the source of your problems, as those early versions caused all sorts of weird instability, variability and random error code issues.

Reply to Megger 1730 error message FU5 or FUS in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net