Discuss Megger Mft 1730 calculating R1&R2? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sparky Ninja

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
A student of mine had his new toy delivered today (delivery first thing, thank you very much Tester Meter). We've had a play with it and I am surprised to see that it has a method of caculating R1&R2 as what appears to be normal practice.

You turn the dial to Zref, make a loop impedance measurment (at the Ze or Zdb position) and it is stored as the reference value.

You then change the dial to R1&R2, make a loop impedance measurment at the Zs position, the readout will then display the R1&R2 value by deducting the reference value from the value obtained at this position.

I don't like this.

Also in their instructions it says that with storing the data R1 = cpc and R2 = Live??

I might have to send them an email.

Second that Widdler. My apprentice bought one and we had a play with it before he used it in anger. I was gob-smacked by this and immediately wrote a letter of complaint to Megger highlighting this blatant use and encouragement of bad and inaccurate test practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a couple of these and the whole R1+R2 calc is nonsense. Also there are supposed to be issues with the Auto null, although mine have been Okay so far. HOWEVER, the phase rotation and two prong no trip ZS has made it a massive hit with the lads. The clamp is pretty cool too. H

I was thinking of buying this meter but having read this post am back to square 1, Any suggestions? I would like to get a meter that has software capability to run the paperwork if its not too much more

I got a couple of these and the whole R1+R2 calc is nonsense. Also there are supposed to be issues with the Auto null, although mine have been Okay so far. HOWEVER, the phase rotation and two prong no trip ZS has made it a massive hit with the lads. The clamp is pretty cool too. H
Is the clamp included in the price or extra ££

DO NOT BUY! i have one of these testers and i have found a couple of annoying problems with it, ZE/ZS readings take forever! about 20 seconds to get a reading, doesn't sound long but when you have every point to do it does become tedious. I also get ridiculous readings when testing wylex consumer units? Megger rep came to visit us and had no answer for this. They are going to take it back to the factory and see what the issue is with reading through wylex RCD's? for the time being been told to calculate all ZS's! so thats right the tester can calculate it's own R1+R2's and now i have to calculate ZS values! doesn't really leave me much to do. on the bright side the auto test and the RCD is very good but other than that i am not impressed at all. Just to clarify a couple of points i'm not really using the auto calculate for R1+R2 and i am not calculating ZS values i have gone back to the trusty robin kit while i await clarification from megger, because until it is sorted i believe the results i am getting arent worth the paper they are written on. But when all the problems are sorted i believe it will be a good piece of kit and when they are sorted i will let you guys know.

Well I am/was a Megger man through and through but I just wannna chuck my 1730 out of the window!

The iclamp is not included with the tester, that's another £210 + VAT!

I can't get Powersuite to work (it's something to do with the software, not the MFT)

I'm now getting a wide variation on Zs readings from my 1730 when compared to my 1552. So it's likely I have a week of testing to double check! :( - 16A type B. 1552 = 0.83 ohms. 1730 = 2.59 ohms? The tests are done fast on the 1730 though, only a few secs, not 20+ as other posters have mentioned

I must admit to liking the 1730 but I stay away from the gimmiky ZREF , not for real testers that option! About the only niggle I have with using it is the long time to do Zs compared to fluke or seaward, otherwise the tester has performed well and no wild readings that I have noticed. Software loaded without trouble too. Only had it for short while though, so still time for gremlins to appear.:willy_nilly:

if you are getting Zs readings in a couple of seconds you cant be using the non trip 2 wire test? the wild reading tend to be on wylex consumer units, Megger are aware of this and are going to update the software so if you have got one it would be worth contacting whoever supplied it to you to see if they will update yours for free as well?

if you are getting Zs readings in a couple of seconds you cant be using the non trip 2 wire test? the wild reading tend to be on wylex consumer units, Megger are aware of this and are going to update the software so if you have got one it would be worth contacting whoever supplied it to you to see if they will update yours for free as well?

The readings were taken using the 'kettle' lead off a regularly used test socket and compared against my 1552. Admittedly it is a Wylex rewirable board.

You'd expect the unit to be 'right' as it came from Megger direct

we have 12 of these testers accross the company as we thought it was time to replace the robin 3 piece kits, and all are being returned to megger as they all have the same fault, your right though you would of expected them to run the required tests before releasing them out onto the market but obviously not!

Have they replied to you yet Markie?
Had a rather bland letter on Saturday, saying my comments had been noted by the Megger management with concern. They have forwarded a copy of my letter to the Technical Department who have been told to contact me within 14 days. I will mention the other concerns expressed in this thread when contacted.

hi i just bought the 1730 but im finding it difficult to bluetooth results.By that i mean i am just practicing at home with it doing tests on my own house and trying to blue tooth the results to the cert on my computer i can do this one at a time but i have been testing say, a whole circuit and cannot send the results all at once or do a lot of circuits and then send them to the cert if you can only send the results one at a time then its a pile of expensive c$$p no doubt i will send in back if it doesnt please. I also cant send results one at a time from downstairs to the cert upstairs is the bluetooth technology that poor . The instructions for downloading are very vague or maybe its me being impatient i have other questions about subtracting ze but thats for another time bring back my good old 1502​

hi i just bought the 1730 but im finding it difficult to bluetooth results.By that i mean i am just practicing at home with it doing tests on my own house and trying to blue tooth the results to the cert on my computer i can do this one at a time but i have been testing say, a whole circuit and cannot send the results all at once or do a lot of circuits and then send them to the cert if you can only send the results one at a time then its a pile of expensive c$$p no doubt i will send in back if it doesnt please. I also cant send results one at a time from downstairs to the cert upstairs is the bluetooth technology that poor . The instructions for downloading are very vague or maybe its me being impatient i have other questions about subtracting ze but thats for another time bring back my good old 1502​

Hi Supermajor.
I'm guessing the issues with bluetooth might be down to the limitations of the medium rather than the MFT or your computer. I presume bluetooth only has a limited range and then that will be affected by external influences - walls etc?

I think there are two distinct ways to send information (though I haven't had a chance to try the process out yet) and you have to decide which one to do. Either sending individual results - what they call blobbing where I think you have a cert open and send the result to a field, else you send all or selected results to the download manger to then place manually into a cert? I could be wrong, but that's how I understood things from a chat with the software guys yesterday.

Might be best to ring the techie guys to get some help.

Richard

Bluetooth has clear line of sight range of about 10 metres.

@richy3333 if you attached the megger to your computer before installing the software it's possible it has loaded the wrong drivers. If you haven't already uninstall it, remove any drivers associated with it (via device manager in control panel, assuming it's windows) then reinstall the software before attaching the megger.

Reply to Megger Mft 1730 calculating R1&R2? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net