Discuss Megger MFT 1730's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

WelshSparks

Does anyone else have ones of these? If so, have you mastered the blue-tooth transfer function?

I'm having problems getting my head around it.

I'm using windows XP wih a USB blue-tooth adapter.

Any help would be GREATLY appriciated!

Thanks,

WS

I had difficulty setting up a bluetooth USB adapter with the laptop and the MFT. You need to ring up the software guys - very helpful, but took an hour on the phone for them to do it. If I remember correctly some bluetooth USB adapter don't work??

Oh, and make sure you have the latest version of the 1730, the older ones didn't allow you to toggle through the EFLI testing choices. If you have to move the leads around you have been sold an old machine.

I sent my old 1730 back because the EFLI tests were so random and received a brand new machine with the "toggleable" settings. Took a call to Megger to find out why the 2-wire test wasn't working as it was automatic on my original machine. The no-trip setting still gives stupidly high readings on 2-wire, but fairly accurate results on 3-wire.

I sent my old 1730 back because the EFLI tests were so random and received a brand new machine with the "toggleable" settings. Took a call to Megger to find out why the 2-wire test wasn't working as it was automatic on my original machine. The no-trip setting still gives stupidly high readings on 2-wire, but fairly accurate results on 3-wire.

I asked the Megger rep if they were not rushing out the 1700 series as he was demonstrating a unit with beta software plus they sold this on the case it could do a Ze at the switch as a time saver going up to the light plus the Schemies just kick the can down the road

Yeah, I think there is an option so the test can self start as per the old 1730 or you can press the test button (default option).

My new 1 week old 1730 replacement is working OK, but the button test probe has already stopped working :( I know that Megger will exchange it but FFS it's brand new and died on day 1!

Thoroughly unimpressed with Megger at the moment and since making a complaint they've gone very quiet...

I asked the Megger tech guy why I could get a decent reading using 3-wire, but not 2-wire. He said that it depends on the installation setup and surroundings. I said "so when would it be accurate to use the 2-wire no-trip setting?". He told me that I would have to assess each case on its own merit!!!

So basically, if I want correct readings, ignore the 2-wire test on no-trip. Wish it had told me that in the manual.

Megga's got mine at the moment. random ELI readings. they have had it for 3 weeks now... really peeved off with them... and thats after them telling me the only way to stop RCBO's tripping was to swop the leads around!! anyone think the kits not fit for purpose?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's been out for quite a while now. No excuses really.

None at all. Me thinks they are keeping shtum about the problems with the 1700 series. They used to have a Megger employee on here as a member but he's been silent a while now. I'm very unimpressed with Megger. Anyone who has a problem or a suspicion of a problem with a 1700 series needs to speak up and contact Megger

Well I have a 1553 in a Fluke carry case ?? Yes I mentioned this to the Megger rep when he was demonstrating the 1700 late last year as I told him the Megger carry case was just mince but he did not get it he kept on saying why whats wrong with it and i said well its the wrong shape its a job putting the tester and leads back in the case is akward when carrying up a couple of flights of stairs ect So why use a Fluke case then well it carries all my bits and pieces and more easy to carry and you can even sit on it . Poor guy still did not get it.

I also said I was happy with the 1553

Well I have a 1553 in a Fluke carry case ?? Yes I mentioned this to the Megger rep when he was demonstrating the 1700 late last year as I told him the Megger carry case was just mince but he did not get it he kept on saying why whats wrong with it and i said well its the wrong shape its a job putting the tester and leads back in the case is akward when carrying up a couple of flights of stairs ect So why use a Fluke case then well it carries all my bits and pieces and more easy to carry and you can even sit on it . Poor guy still did not get it.

I also said I was happy with the 1553

Yep! that's the state of Megger at the moment. They are still trying to tell the industry what it wants by producing publicity grabbing gimics. Instead of listening to experienced Sparks and finding out what they actually require, as the company have traditionally done. The publicity hype with little substance, combined with their reliability record quickly evaporating, has well and truely bitten them on the bum. We can only hope this negative experience causes senior management to reevaluate and that they get back to their traditional core values and start making honest, hard working products that are a joy to use, with features we actually want.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if they are like the Scemies who say they dont lurk on this forum but actually do but the funny thing is they dont pick on any of it

I would hope that someone from Megger is listening to the normal working spark. Don't get me wrong, I love the ruggedness of my 1730, and have always had Megger equipment. I do confess though that I have been left feeling a little bewildered by the casualness in which I was told that I have to decide myself whether to use 2-wire or 3-wire testing on no-trip, as results may not be accurate!
I need to KNOW that what I am reading is correct, not guess.

Does anyone else have ones of these? If so, have you mastered the blue-tooth transfer function?

I'm having problems getting my head around it.

I'm using windows XP wih a USB blue-tooth adapter.

Any help would be GREATLY appriciated!

Thanks,

WS

Hello WelshSparks

Sorry you are struggling with the Bluetooth feature on your MFT1730. Please contact out Tech Support Department on 01304 502102 and we will be happy to talk you through the procedure.
Megger does monitor forums but with so many we do sometimes miss them or find them late. It is always best to contact us directly on [email protected] with any query so that we can sort it out as quickly as possible.
Please also be assured that we listen to customer feedback and endeavour to produce testers that are easy to use and do what electricians want. The MFT1700 series is a case in point where we have made several updates since its launch based on customer feedback.
Apart from the phone number and email address above anybody is welcome to talk directly with us at one of the many events we attend every year in the UK which can be found on our website. In 2011 we spoke face-to-face with over 10,500 customers in this way.

Kind Regards

Megger Technical Support

well i`v heard mixed reports in here before about these 1700s.....look, mines an old CM200 which does all the tests you need.....it doesn`t do a low current Zs but who cares?...not me as i just wire out the RCD....its fast n all....on both Zs and continuity....blows my boss`s metrel away for speed.....

Glenn, how do you tackle the problem of DIN rail RCD's such as is fitted to the Starbreaker CU's?
I have found the 1730 to be accurate on 3-wire no-trip tests but not on 2-wire. I have tried to get a definitive answer from Megger but to no avail.
Perhaps the Megger support guy on this forum can tell me why it's advertised as a 2-wire no-trip unit but it clearly doesn't give accurate readings.....please.

I'm beginning to wonder if my faith in Megger was justified, and whether I should have gone with a Fluke.

Reply to Megger MFT 1730's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net