• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Megger MFT PFC error message in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

gazdkw82

Trainee
Trainee Access
I used a friends Megger today and we both came up with an error he hasn't seen before.

We was performing a PFC test at the imcoming of a new DB.

Leads were in line and neutral ports and tester set to L-N, 2 lead test, Zmax.

As soon as you make the connection the tester beeped and flashed <PE>

We managed to get a reading but he didn't know what the error meant. Searching the internet doesn't seem to bring up much

Professional Grade LED Lighting Strips

static zap

Regular EF Member
(pure speculation , does it want a PE reference to
confirm "polarity" )
...No I have yet to read that Meggers Instructions..
( So many "features" ... n-tweakable-settings
can get in the way sometimes )

Strima

Electrician's Arms
At a guess PE would refer to protective earth??? Possibly seeing the earth as a neutral?

Strima

Electrician's Arms
Can testers differentiate between an incorrect connection between N and E on a TN system assuming that is what it is.
I honestly don't know, just throwing an idea in the really confuse the mix... :D

Rob

Control System Engineer
Respected Member
Can testers differentiate between an incorrect connection between N and E on a TN system assuming that is what it is.
Not with a 2 wire test they can't.

An they wouldn't really be able to prove a fault with 3 wire testing, but could flag a possible warning message if the resistance of one was out of a pre defined tolerance set in the tester.

I believe the <PE> fault you have seen, is an issue where it detects the touch voltage rising on a conductor above safe limits.

This could point to a fault on the DNO side of things, although only speculation. Call Megger an find out what the code means.

Edit: New batteries in the tester? Or if rechargeable, they weren't low?

Last edited:

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance