Discuss Megger MFT PFC error message in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

gazdkw82

Trainee
Trainee Access
I used a friends Megger today and we both came up with an error he hasn't seen before.

We was performing a PFC test at the imcoming of a new DB.

Leads were in line and neutral ports and tester set to L-N, 2 lead test, Zmax.

As soon as you make the connection the tester beeped and flashed <PE>

We managed to get a reading but he didn't know what the error meant. Searching the internet doesn't seem to bring up much

static zap

Regular EF Member
(pure speculation , does it want a PE reference to
confirm "polarity" )
...No I have yet to read that Meggers Instructions..
( So many "features" ... n-tweakable-settings
can get in the way sometimes )

westward10

In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream.
Staff member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
If it flashed PE this is likely to indicate user error.

Strima

Electrician's Arms
At a guess PE would refer to protective earth??? Possibly seeing the earth as a neutral?

Strima

Electrician's Arms
Can testers differentiate between an incorrect connection between N and E on a TN system assuming that is what it is.
I honestly don't know, just throwing an idea in the really confuse the mix... :D

Rob

Control System Engineer
Electrician's Arms
Can testers differentiate between an incorrect connection between N and E on a TN system assuming that is what it is.
Not with a 2 wire test they can't.

An they wouldn't really be able to prove a fault with 3 wire testing, but could flag a possible warning message if the resistance of one was out of a pre defined tolerance set in the tester.

I believe the <PE> fault you have seen, is an issue where it detects the touch voltage rising on a conductor above safe limits.

This could point to a fault on the DNO side of things, although only speculation. Call Megger an find out what the code means.

Edit: New batteries in the tester? Or if rechargeable, they weren't low?

Last edited:

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
as Rob suggests, it would seem that PE would indicate a voltage on the PE. however, OP says he was using 2 leads L-N. possibly be a N not tied down to E due to a poor connection. I found 1 of those causing a high Ze. turned out the jumper from N-E in a PME head was loose.

Rob

Control System Engineer
Electrician's Arms
as Rob suggests, it would seem that PE would indicate a voltage on the PE. however, OP says he was using 2 leads L-N. possibly be a N not tied down to E due to a poor connection. I found 1 of those causing a high Ze. turned out the jumper from N-E in a PME head was loose.
This was my initial thought too.

Although a call to Megger an probably some more testing will be required.

buzzlightyear

please let me back in to the prison cell.
Electrician's Arms
when testing on the megger ,which I think he has from previous posts the megger would show not connected if he has not connected write .

Midwest

Electrician's Arms
Haven’t my 1730 to hand nor instructions, but I neve selected Zmax when measuring Ze/PFC. That if I remember was measuring max Zs figures on a circuit.

There’s a guy at Megger Tchnical, Ian Bentsed or something like that. He’s the one to speak to about error codes and using their MFT’s.

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.