Discuss Megger MFT1710 Multifunction Tester in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was thinking about buying a used Megger 1552, but now I am thinking about the new MTF 1710 tester. It is a bit more expensive but since it is new it will have warranty and such.

Anybody has experience with this new tester?

I have had two meggers one 1502 and one 1552 and both died just after the warranty run out.Megger has a minimum charge of £280 plus VAT and they are not exactly helpfull, they are a good tester when they are working but just dont last long enough and their leads are rubbish.
Now looking at other makes [any suggestions]
One other thing is they go through a lot of batteries.

MEGGER TSG a member of forum may be able to shed some light there JMC3 he has been realy helpful with stuff in the past

THe Megger 1720 looks like the one to have. The 1710 doesn't have auto RCD. The 1730 stores and downloads results but I like my pencil ;-)

Theres loads of pictures and links to data sheets and even a megger sales rep demoing one on video on their facebook page

MeggerUK | Facebook

I have had two meggers one 1502 and one 1552 and both died just after the warranty run out.Megger has a minimum charge of £280 plus VAT and they are not exactly helpfull, they are a good tester when they are working but just dont last long enough and their leads are rubbish.
Now looking at other makes [any suggestions]
One other thing is they go through a lot of batteries.

NOT had any issues with my mft1552 apart from yes they do eat batteries just changing it to MFT1730megger-mft1730-multifunction-installation-tester-1789-1992_medium.jpg

Still no news on the new Meggers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has any MFT1720/30 been received by anyone?????????????? It will be Easter at this rate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the latest news and current situation that we are experiencing and notified of:
The MFT1710, 1720 and 1730 have started leaving Megger about a week or so ago but only sent out in small quantities to each distributor. We know Megger are doing this to keep things fair and so that one distributor doesn't receive 100 testers while everyone else gets none. This means that all the testers that are being sent out are forwarded immediately to waiting customers and none are available for stock or new orders. We haven't seen any MFT1730 On-site yet but we have been told that we should be receiving our first batch of them next week, so fingers crossed.
We know how frustrating it is for everyone (ourselves included). We literally cannot wait for loads to come in and get them to all the people waiting. Megger are hoping to be able to ramp up production these next weeks so more and more will be sent out. I know they are trying their best to get as many produced while making the waiting as fair for everyone as possible.
If any of you want any information or updates you are welcome to call us on 0113 248 9966. We are taking orders for these, and if you wish we can put you on the waiting list and take payment when your tester is being sent out, meaning you will not be paying for goods weeks before actually receiving them.

I have owned a couple of Meggers over the years, useing a 1553. Whilst the unit 'works fundamentaly' it is not without flaws. The Low current (non-trip) loop test Megger have implemented over the years is in my opinion slow and sadly the results are not too consistant, if I have been on site with other sparks with differing test instruments Megger seems to be the least consistant.
I just bought a 1730, the featured specification is awsome ON PAPER, the sad reality is it has gone back to its maker with a handful of 'anomolies' its calibration cert was 5 days old and its accuracy was worse than questionable. Add into the deal the fact that the two wire loop test still takes a good 20 seconds and the Manufacturers suggests you take several readings and use the average..... I have a busy enough day without making it unnecesarily longer and more stressful! Good Luck.

I have owned a couple of Meggers over the years, useing a 1553. Whilst the unit 'works fundamentaly' it is not without flaws. The Low current (non-trip) loop test Megger have implemented over the years is in my opinion slow and sadly the results are not too consistant, if I have been on site with other sparks with differing test instruments Megger seems to be the least consistant.
I just bought a 1730, the featured specification is awsome ON PAPER, the sad reality is it has gone back to its maker with a handful of 'anomolies' its calibration cert was 5 days old and its accuracy was worse than questionable. Add into the deal the fact that the two wire loop test still takes a good 20 seconds and the Manufacturers suggests you take several readings and use the average..... I have a busy enough day without making it unnecesarily longer and more stressful! Good Luck.

Think I'll be waiting a few months for some more feedback on any teething troubles that might be lurking!

Always makes me cautious when a new product is delayed.

Thanks for the info.

I think it will be the MFT 3000 or so before I reconsider patronising Megger again. Having seen faster and more reliable options available I will be making a carefull choice of something differant.

I think it will be the MFT 3000 or so before I reconsider patronising Megger again. Having seen faster and more reliable options available I will be making a carefull choice of something differant.

I had bad experiences with Megga also... but something always draws me back!

What are you using now Jeremy?

Still got the 1553, I know two wire testing is useful but, Meggers method of testing is far too slow, even on three wire loop testing, sad truth is that with Megger, after the longer than average wait for the result, it is random and NOT consistant, by now thay ought perhaps to have perfected the process?
I am going to look at the options, Fluke 1664B looks interesting, their non- trip loop test is far quicker, I need to do some research obviously.

The two wire loop test on my MFT1730 takes under 14 seconds

I have supplied my company over 70 MFT1500 series multifunction testers in the last 2 years and never had a problem with any of them

Reply to Megger MFT1710 Multifunction Tester in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net