Discuss Megger MTB 7671 CHECK BOX in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

What are you going to buy to calibrate that unit... and so on and so on...

What is it you're wanting it for? Just checking your own meter?

If it's for your own meter, just use a socket in your house, make notes of results, an look for discrepancies.

Yes and no... Might be better if you say what it is as I had to search the item.

I bought a Kewtech (ashamed to admit to owning something of theirs) to use years ago. Similar to the Megger check box. However there's no reason you couldn't use a cal-card etc at a fraction of the cost. However if you want a new toy buy one :)

If checking one or two test meters then use a calcard and dedicated RCD socket.

Are these items worth the price?

Is the Megger MTB 7671 the best choice?
I've had one for a while, has proved useful. Depends on how many meters you run and how they are looked after. If been kicked around on building sites, may be an idea. If you do decide to purchase one, little advice do not keep in van. As travelling about and temp differences can effect them, after all when being calibrated they are adjusted by small pots on circuit board which can move with vibration / temp differences. Leave in office / home and check your meter against it every 1 to 3 months or so, depending on how much you use your meters. If you do decide to get one get in touch with @LeeBakerMegger on twitter, he will let you know who's doing best deal in your area.

I've had one for a while, has proved useful. Depends on how many meters you run and how they are looked after. If been kicked around on building sites, may be an idea. If you do decide to purchase one, little advice do not keep in van. As travelling about and temp differences can effect them, after all when being calibrated they are adjusted by small pots on circuit board which can move with vibration / temp differences. Leave in office / home and check your meter against it every 1 to 3 months or so, depending on how much you use your meters. If you do decide to get one get in touch with @LeeBakerMegger on twitter, he will let you know who's doing best deal in your area.

Or check the forum sponsor @Test-Meter

Year old thread, but can't find anything current (sic) on the CalCard has nothing changed?

Year old thread, but can't find anything current (sic) on the CalCard has nothing changed?
I've had different answers from different NICEIC inspectors - some think calibration is required, others are happy with 'ongoing'. Don't think there is a strict requirement laid down.

Personally you can usually tell when readings are dodgy, and changing the leads fixes that most of the time.

I guess you can't go wrong with annual calibration - but I doubt anyone could fault you on having a cablibration every few years, with ongoing in between.

I had a DIY one made up from ebay for many years - but now have a CalCard - seems to work ok, though can be a bit fiddly to get a good connection with croc clips.

The ideal is to use the card against a recently calibrated instrument to get a 'base' reading, then keep a regular record (there's a template out there somewhere) - You also need a known socket to test RCD trip times against - I put a garage CU in with a single socket

What you're really looking for is the trend over time - inconsistent readings are almost always the leads, or the tester going faulty, in which case it's either repair or replace time anyway and not something calibration will fix...

Thanks for your input, so all of the units available are much the same and one is not better than another? I like the idea of having a dedicated socket in an outbuilding that gets less use/abuse, the socket in my boiler house gets very little use and would be ideal, so that's sorted, just need to buy a card.

Most modern instruments have very little (if any) adjustments possible. So calibration is more a "Is it broken?" sort of check.

The CalCard is a convenient way to check low and high R. Low-R should be obvious if it is OK by your probe null-ing process (e.g. are you seeing around 0.1 ohm without null and 0.00 with null?) but high-R insulation testing really needs something like a 10M resistor that is fine for 500V use, and the CalCard provides that.

With the advent of solid state electronics I would think that calibration drift is at a minimum in any modern instrument, as above any adjustments would be very little, the days of the wire wound pot have long gone.?

Reply to Megger MTB 7671 CHECK BOX in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock