Discuss Melting adaptors in Mauritius in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi people, I recently moved to Mauritius which has a UK 3-pin plug system, however the vast majority of appliances on the market are imported from Europe and therefore have European 2 pin plugs on them. As a result everyone here runs all their appliances on block plug adaptors and extension cords (silly I know)! Up to last week I hadn't had a problem but I just bought a small Rowenta space heater (yes it can get a little chilly in the winter!) and since then it has melted 4 of these plug adaptors (see pic). In none of these melt instances had the heater been running for a long time. So, does this suggest there is something wrong with the new space heater, or is it just not safe to run them on an adapter like this? Can I simply cut off the Euro 2 pin and wire on a 3-pin? All advice gratefully received!

Attachments

• Melting adaptors in Mauritius 15635155076476585782310530183677 - EletriciansForums.net
    15635155076476585782310530183677.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 21
Wouldn’t trust those cheap Chinese adaptors. Much better to install a fused 3 pin plug to your heater.

It shouldn't be an issue using an adapter with a heater.

I don't see any CE markings on that adapter. An the way the pin has deformed suggest a poor quality product.

Is this a multi way adapter? Have you other items plugged into it?

Thanks for the comments. All of them were multi way adapters but nothing else was plugged in at the time they melted. Sounds like you are both suggesting that the adapters might be to blame. It can be hard to find high quality supplies here but I'll see if I can track down something with a safety mark on it and give that a try.

It shouldn't be an issue using an adapter with a heater.

I don't see any CE markings on that adapter. An the way the pin has deformed suggest a poor quality product.

Is this a multi way adapter? Have you other items plugged into it?

Reply to Melting adaptors in Mauritius in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock