Discuss Melty goodness :D in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D Skelton

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Can anyone else explain how three MCB's could get fused together like this? And when I say 'fused', I mean even ramming a screwdriver between them couldn't break them apart!

My thoughts are a loose/incorrect connection to the busbar. Mind you, you'd have at least thought they would have tripped long before reaching this state.

Also, note to any of you who come across anything similar, bag it up before it goes in the van otherwise it'll stink to high heaven of the worlds worst and most pungent smell for weeks!

Melty goodness :D IMG-20120611-00320 - EletriciansForums.net Melty goodness :D IMG-20120611-00321 - EletriciansForums.net Melty goodness :D IMG-20120611-00322 - EletriciansForums.net

Had exactly the same thing few years ago on Wylex fuses

Like you I couldn't understand why it never tripped and I'm guessing the plastic has melted together

Me thinks you have found the recall MCBs from Wylex / Electrium so buy new ones keep the receipt and then make a claim to Electrium for the £75 payment to change them.

If the load is too high then the CB should have tripped but I would like to look at the bus bar to see if the cb connections to that were really tight and in the right place. mind you I like "Oldtimers" idea best. There could be an internal poor connection in the CB.

16's were part of the recall. Check the code on the side if you can get to it!

it's either a bad termination or a possible recall MCD by electrium. if the latter, get the batch number off the mcb, and then claim through the electrium recall scheme.

Shame all of you are all talking about procuct recalls and refunds. I binned the lot a few days ago :( Coulda paid for a few beers :(

I would say it looks like an internal problem. If that was what the recall was about I'm not surprised, they're a fire hazard.

I must admit I haven't paid that much attention as of late. 1. I've been too busy, and 2. A massive influx of keyboard warriors recently hasn't inspired much confidence in me to keep active :(

note to self, I must pay more attention! :6:

I'd hazard a guess that the reason they didn't trip is because that's the busbar side of the connection (incoming) and the overload state is only monitored on the out going side.

Main problem of the meltdown is more than likely due to the recall issue as already stated.

I'd hazard a guess that the reason they didn't trip is because that's the busbar side of the connection (incoming) and the overload state is only monitored on the out going side.

A MCB can’t determine which way the current is travelling. If current flows from the bus-bar it’s got to be going somewhere, it will be measured whatever.

View attachment 13421

I doubt the burning on MCB's as shown would have caused an overload current. At best, occasionally the heat from a poor termination or an internal fault may carry through into the mechanism and cause the thermal sensor to initiate tripping.

Reply to Melty goodness :D in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock