Discuss mem 2000 AD consumer box, rcd for an 8.5 kw shower? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi my name is Gerry and i am putting together the parts required to fit my new shower which is a Triton 8.5 kw electric shower my consumer box is a MEM 2000 AD and i am not sure which RCD to purchase my friend is a sparky and is on holiday in Spain at the moment and i would like to have everything ready for him fit when he returns as he is doing me a favor, could somebody please advise me on the correct one to purchase, and also if possible as i am interested the formula used to work this out, regards Gerry..

Drop him an email mate, he can pick it up when he gets home and you can go to the wholesalers.
I'm sure your sparky friend would prefer to be involved so he can make sure it's right

Last edited by a moderator:
You might not be able to get one for the board you have. Hadn't your sparky friend warned you?

thank you just my luck, my friend agreed to do it on the phone just before he left and suggested i get the parts for him but this is the only part i was not sure about until now,and i would not know what to look for on ebay, but thanks for the posts anyway, regards Gerry

hi thank you ! i just looked at the box and the mains switch is on the left and there is an rcd on the right does this suggest that it is split. thank you could you please give me your opinion before i purchase anymore equipment. regards Gerry

Don't buy anything till your "sparky friend" gets back. It's very easy to get this sort of thing wrong and it'll take ten minutes in the wholesalers with his direction to get right

The consumer units and the spares are reasonable outlays,it would be prudent to curtail the urgency and wait for your spark to decide for you
Its possibly more expensive getting wrong parts that may not be returnable, than the cost of the spark to do the work i

Correct me if im wrong guys, but MEM are very similar to MK and eaton. MK mcb's and MK RCBO's will both very likely fit in the consumer unit. Recommend the MCB on the RCD side of the split load board as RCBO's take up space and getting a 6.0mm conductor or greater in could be tricky. (thinking of your sparky friend)

Correct me if im wrong guys, but MEM are very similar to MK and eaton. MK mcb's and MK RCBO's will both very likely fit in the consumer unit. Recommend the MCB on the RCD side of the split load board as RCBO's take up space and getting a 6.0mm conductor or greater in could be tricky. (thinking of your sparky friend)

Mixing MCB's in different CU types is not recommended by any manufacturer. Only your "friendly" spark can advise you as to the cable, breaker, rcd, etc etc.

thank Ben i will show him this thread when he returns from Spain it might help him, i wanted to get the parts for him cos i live in the country about 300 miles from the town where you buy these things but it wont help if i get the wrong thing will it, i do find electrical installation interesting and would love to learn but getting a bit old now i think, regards Gerry

hi my name is Gerry and i am putting together the parts required to fit my new shower which is a Triton 8.5 kw electric shower my consumer box is a MEM 2000 AD and i am not sure which RCD to purchase my friend is a sparky and is on holiday in Spain at the moment and i would like to have everything ready for him fit when he returns as he is doing me a favor, could somebody please advise me on the correct one to purchase, and also if possible as i am interested the formula used to work this out, regards Gerry..

I had a similar request a few weeks ago and contacted Eaton directly and they sent this info back to me:
[FONT=&amp]The Memshield 2 range of mcb’s and the rcbo “pods” are still in full production, and can easily be ordered. As mentioned they retro-fit straight into the consumer unit you have.[/FONT]
The only issue is the cost of the Memshield 2 and rcbo pod! Quite expensive!

You will need a 40 amp RCBO.

How much do the pods go for? I work on a maintance contract currently and they over ordered on a job so I have a fair few knocking around

Gerry I'm going to sound brutal here and if I'm wrong I apologise in advance. I don't believe that this "sparky friend" of yours exists. I reckon you're a DIYer who wants to have a go at this himself and to a point I applaud you for being willing however, this is notifiable work, regardless of that, electricity is dangerous in untrained and unskilled hands.
Electricians are usually cheaper and less traumatic than funerals mate, I can't believe the advice you're getting.

Reply to mem 2000 AD consumer box, rcd for an 8.5 kw shower? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock