Discuss MEM 45 amp push button breaker in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

They were obsolete years ago and now as rare as rocking horse poo. Dillb, start your auction at £50.....;0) Seriously vinieco, what do you want it for. My guess is that you've upgraded your shower and the 30amp mcb keeps tripping?

Unless I'm very much mistaken then vinieco is not a 'fellow sparky' I'll apologise if I'm wrong.

I have a retail shop I run my sparkyness from and regulaly have DIYers in asking for 40/45/50 amp MCB's just like the 30 or 32amp version they bring in. Most of the time they have bought a 10.5KW shower from B&Q to replace their 7.5KW and then wonder why the MCB keeps blowing. The answer-uprate the MCB without a thought about the poor old 6mm cable in the wall. My answer is usually to ask them if they intended to install a heater in the wall and loft.......

Unless I'm very much mistaken then vinieco is not a 'fellow sparky' I'll apologise if I'm wrong.

I have a retail shop I run my sparkyness from and regulaly have DIYers in asking for 40/45/50 amp MCB's just like the 30 or 32amp version they bring in. Most of the time they have bought a 10.5KW shower from B&Q to replace their 7.5KW and then wonder why the MCB keeps blowing. The answer-uprate the MCB without a thought about the poor old 6mm cable in the wall. My answer is usually to ask them if they intended to install a heater in the wall and loft.......
Tonkatoy27 - no need to apologise, you are right I'm not a spark. Have to say though in my defence, I didn't claim to be. Didn't intend to rip anyone off and I did say to Dillb it wasn't a business thing. Apologies if he thinks I tried to trick him, I hope not.
It's to replace the breaker that's already in as it overheats and trips all the time. As I say i'm no spark and there might be something other than this as the problem but i figured i'd try it first. Someone mentioned you could get them on E Bay but that was a blank then i spent ages Googling it and fell into here.
Again, to Dillb, seriously didn't seek to trick you and much appreciate your help. Looked on your profile and see your a disgruntled public sector worker. If it's a consolation, so am I. Good luck to you mate, you're a top bloke!!

The MCB itself is not likely to 'overheat' without external influence. If there is heat damage to any part of the din rail or housing around the MCB then the board needs to be swopped - fast. We fitted a couple of hundred of these boards on a site 30 years ago in my dads day and they were around donkeys before that. I doubt the circuits have RCD protection or have been tested since they were installed so the board doesn't owe you anything and I don't think changing the MCB will solve your problem. Bite the bullet and upgrade to a 17th edition board, all the circuits will get an MOT while the sparkies at it. If you're in South Devon let me know, I'll give you a good price. ;0)

agree with above^^^^ could be that the MCB is seriously overloaded, or that there is a poor connection in the CU. best advice is to get a qualified spark to check this over. if you post your location, i'm sure a member will be close to you. by all means, swap the breaker out, but then if the replacement shows signs of overheating, then there has to be a n underlying fault which is obviously dangerous.

Reply to MEM 45 amp push button breaker in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net