Discuss MEM BS3871 breakers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wade88

Top o the mornin to you chaps,

Anyone know where i can get my hands on a selection of such breakers? Helping the old man out with a few bits on his gaff as they have just had kitchen re done and i have done the power for them but their CU is a shambles - until i install the new board in the coming fortnight i just want to get their cooker in, but current breaker wont hold this beast of a rangemaster thing they have bought so i need some bigger mcbs but having trouble finding these breakers for a reasonable price. As its only a temp set up i am relcutant to make him pay through the nose for them.

Up and down ring are on 45's so would like a couple of 32's and lighting ciruits are on 16's :/ so need a handful of assorted spares?

Any ideas gratefully received

Ta, Ben

Cheapest option would be to buy a small enclosure and modern MCBs (you could use ones you are going to put in the new board) and divert the circuits through these leaving everything else in place, a few wago connectors and you are done. Not ideal for a permanent solution (though compliant, if you bypass the old BS3871s and don't need RCDs).
Parts cost would be about £20.
Not as easy as changing the OPD but cheaper and still straight forward.

Well i cant divert the circuit as i dont currently have an available way - i didnt explain myself very well at all previously. The current set up is an 8 way MEM 21 board with an array of incorrectly rated breakers. This board covers up and down ring, up and down lights, IM heater, Cellar lights, cellar sockets and an unlabelled way i believe to be the attic. There is also another little sub board fed from henley block that feeds utility room sockets/lights, garage, and the current cooker slot - no RCD on this sub board, old wylex pull outs. cooker was on a 30, but this new monster cooker the rents have bought tops out at 14kw full load........ but i imagine it wont be pulling more than 10 max at any time considering the cookers duty cycle.

But this 30amp wont hold the cooker (10k circa 43 amps @230v) - i would like it on a 45 or 50 MCB on the RCD protected board. so i need to do some shuffling of circuits until i install the new 12 way split. the main problem is the original kitchen circuitry was not a seperate ring, it was combined with the existing downstairs ring. So i need another way to put the new kitchen on. So i have disconnected the attic and used this MCB - which has turned out to be faulty and needs replacing, think the bi strip has just warped beyond use.

So preferably for now i just want a couple 32's, couple of 6's and a couple of 45's of the MEM BS3871 style PD
image1959685_0.jpg

the M is the KA rating. if it's temporary, i wouldn't bother much.

Lads name your price i insist on sending some beer money your way for them.

I need 3 x 32A 2 x 6 and 1 x 45 or 1 x 50 which ever is available.

If you can scrape together those i would hugely appreciative. As i said - Give me a price or ill just send you money and you'll be at the mercy of my generosity.

Thanks fellas

i've got 3 x 32A and 2 x 5A. they are the earlier type 1's as in my previous post. you are welcome to them for the cost of postage.

Those are the ones Tele - When can you get them in the post then mate and how can i pay you? Or will you just put a reverse postage thingy on them?

Those are the ones Tele - When can you get them in the post then mate and how can i pay you? Or will you just put a reverse postage thingy on them?
pm me your addy. will post as soon as.

Well i cant change the board for him for a couple of weeks and dont want my poor mum to go without her new cooker for that long - they have been living out of the microwave long enough. So i just want to get some power to it for now. No this cooker will definitely not run on a 30A, thes main overn is circa 5kw and each hob ring is 2.5kw min so if she had the oven cooking and two hobs were talking 10kw already. Its a bit over the top for beans on toast

Yea Tele sorted me right out on this one and got me a handful of MCB's in the post within a day or two. I made a donation on his behalf to a charity of his choice to return the favour.

More of this sort of behavior wouldn't be a bad thing now would it

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Ben can you tell me how I remove an mcb on this unit to check/replace?

What unit are you speaking of Terryoc? How do you remove an MCB from your CU?

A more specific question wouldn't hurt mate

Reply to MEM BS3871 breakers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net