Discuss Mercury exposure, some graphic photos (if the link works) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

bugger, and i thought i was going to see evidence of life on the planet mercury.

now that's what's called putting your foot in it. :bigcry:

who needs metres when we,ve got feet.

ah , but that mercury was safe because H&S was not around then.

Just think of all that fun we had at school rolling mercury around the physics lab bench.

Yes ... I remember when I was very young - maybe 3 years old? - I wasn't well & Mum was taking my temperature with a thermometer which was a glass tube with mercury in it.

I broke it in half & the mercury spilled-out onto the table & I spent the rest of the day playing with it.

She had an ironing board which was made of wood and it had a shelf on the end of it to place the iron on. That shelf was lined with asbestos and I took a great delight in scraping flaky bits off it with my fingernails & playing with the flakes as if they were snow.

How the hell have I survived to be the age I am ???!!!!! :eek:mg_smile:

well. in the year BHS ( before health and safety), we went out, played in the cold, got wet, muddy, skinned our knees. we didn't die of typhoid, leprosy , or any other disease. we were tough. now, kids get taken to scholl in sauna hot range rovers, wrapped up in coats, scarves, hats, ear mufflers, and that's just to answer the front door. )(oh, bugger, they're not allowed to do that anymore in case it's a paedo).

well. in the year BHS ( before health and safety), we went out, played in the cold, got wet, muddy, skinned our knees. we didn't die of typhoid, leprosy , or any other disease. we were tough. now, kids get taken to scholl in sauna hot range rovers, wrapped up in coats, scarves, hats, ear mufflers, and that's just to answer the front door. )(oh, bugger, they're not allowed to do that anymore in case it's a paedo).

You forgot the climbing and falling out of trees, playing on building sites and the plant found there - circular saws, dumper trucks etc and nicking the wood from them to build "bogies" which we fitted with pram wheels which we scrounged from neighbours by knocking on doors & asking if they had any old prams / pushchairs they didn't want. Then there was building dens from scrap wood, tree branches etc & lighting the insides of them with paraffin lamps - the paraffin we bought from the local hardware store in lemonade bottles for sixpence (old money) each. Cooking sausages and spuds (nicked from the farmer's field) on camp fire and having the sausages nicked from us by the mangy dog that we had befriended ......

No hope for me then I've had half a mouthfull of Mercury based fillings for over 50 years. (and so have most older people with fillings)
I (we) used to smash flu lamps into commercial dustbins by the hundreds.
And I was exposed to sprayed Blue asbestos in the late 60's.
And the cocktail of other chemicals and dust I've breathed in should have killed me years ago.

Re the O.P photo, I think treading on glass was the biggest contributor as well as all the other contamination inside the lamp.
And a lot of bad luck being sensitive to them all.

with feet like that, he could get work as malcolm's camel when his present one dies.

You forgot the climbing and falling out of trees, playing on building sites and the plant found there - circular saws, dumper trucks etc and nicking the wood from them to build "bogies" which we fitted with pram wheels which we scrounged from neighbours by knocking on doors & asking if they had any old prams / pushchairs they didn't want. Then there was building dens from scrap wood, tree branches etc & lighting the insides of them with paraffin lamps - the paraffin we bought from the local hardware store in lemonade bottles for sixpence (old money) each. Cooking sausages and spuds (nicked from the farmer's field) on camp fire and having the sausages nicked from us by the mangy dog that we had befriended ......
aye...its `grim up north` in`t it geordie.....lol...

Mercury exposure, some graphic photos (if the link works) {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
lol...

aye...its `grim up north` in`t it geordie.....lol...

Mercury exposure, some graphic photos (if the link works) {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
lol...

Aye Glen ... it was.

We awoke in the morning to find ice on the insides of the bedroom windows and the coal fire downstairs had gone out. We had to go to the shops with our Mothers pulling our sleds through the snow and use the sleds to carry the shopping home.

We used to endure several hardships - rationing was still in force so soon after the war when I were a lad, but looking back, I wouldn't want to swap my childhood for what kids have today with all the "political correctness" "health & safety " BS.

People weren't well off by any means, but they had pride and dignity and there was a community spirit - things you don't hear very much about nowadays.

Blimey Geordie, which farmer grew sausages? :smilielol5:

Reply to Mercury exposure, some graphic photos (if the link works) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock