Discuss Met-UK course: sound any good? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

randyrat

Chaps, how does this sound?

BPEC level 3 course and assessment in Essential Electrics, Part P Electrics Scope A, B and C, C&G 2377 PAT Testing, 2382 17th edition, and 2392-10 Fundamental Inspection, testing and verification.
All exam fees included, four weeks work placement/consolidation, and total 6 weeks full time hands on/classroom.
All for 5 grand ish......

Seems not too bad to me....and according to the literature you can jump right in afterwards.....seems ideal for me; looking at setting up a one man band...

Thoughts pleasse gents/ladies
:D
Randyrat

Thirty plus views and no comments?

Last edited by a moderator:
HiRandyrat,
I too have been considering the sparky course at Met-uk and have posed the same questions-I now know that the C&G 2377 is ONLY 002 and not the full ticket!!!!!
As for the C&G 2392 qual,AccessTraining is correct in stating you will need C&G 2391 in order to undertake landlord certs,another half qualification and no chance of going self-employed!
Finally,phone C&G to check the situation out and then phone Met-uk and ask them to explain.

the course is
BPEC level 3 essential electrics
BPEC level 3 part P electrics B&C scope
C&G 2382 17th edition wiring regs BS7671
C&G 2392-10 certificate in fundimental inspection testing and initial verification
C&G 2392-20 certificate in inspection testing and certification of electrical installation
C&G 2377 002 portable appliance testing

8 -12 per course , not 32 like technique traning which i was quoted, how many per course is Access running?

Dave

Hi Foggy,
Just read my reply to Randyrat and do the same.I have also had a quick visit to Access Training and the course looks ok and the class sizes are about 6-8,8 being the max.
electricidiot.

Hi Foggy,
Just read my reply to Randyrat and do the same.I have also had a quick visit to Access Training and the course looks ok and the class sizes are about 6-8,8 being the max.
electricidiot.

Looks ok?

someone has worked very hard to design and build those bays and that course

and they have some really good tutors

erm....or so i'm told;)

SO ACCESS TRAINING >>>

CG 2392 is not a course is it..... FROM C&G website

February 2008: 2392 news update

Now available

The 2392 City & Guilds Level 2 Certificate in Fundamental Inspection, Testing and Initial Verification is now available.
This qualification has been designed to help less experienced candidates obtain inspection, testing and initial verification experience before progressing onto the 2391-10 Level 3 Certificate in Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations. Research has indicated the candidates that have achieved the 2392-10 will have on average, greater success in achieving the 2391.

ALSO

Both CORGI, NAPIT and ELECSA who are approved by the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister (ODPM) to run Competent Persons Schemes have fully approved the BPEC Certification Ltd electrical qualification as meeting the requirements to enable an operative to join their scheme

Hi Foggy,
The C&G 2392 is a qualification,but you will not be able to do Landlord Certs with it,you WILL need the C&G 2391 in order to certify other peoples work.The same applies to their C&G 2377 unit they are offering,you need units 001 &002 for the full qualification!
Phone C&G for clarification and phone MET-UK and ask about the missing unit and explain about Landlord certs issue.electricidiot.

SO ACCESS TRAINING >>>

CG 2392 is not a course is it..... FROM C&G website

February 2008: 2392 news update

Now available

The 2392 City & Guilds Level 2 Certificate in Fundamental Inspection, Testing and Initial Verification is now available.
This qualification has been designed to help less experienced candidates obtain inspection, testing and initial verification experience before progressing onto the 2391-10 Level 3 Certificate in Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations. Research has indicated the candidates that have achieved the 2392-10 will have on average, greater success in achieving the 2391.

ALSO

Both CORGI, NAPIT and ELECSA who are approved by the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister (ODPM) to run Competent Persons Schemes have fully approved the BPEC Certification Ltd electrical qualification as meeting the requirements to enable an operative to join their scheme

Foggy, you are getting funnier by the minuite. So who told you it was approved by the ODPM? Was it MET-UK?

Mate, the ODPM ceased to exist on 05 May 06!!!!

Thats nearly two years ago!

It is now, (and has been for two years) the Department of Communities & Local Government, give them a ring, bet they will be begging you to work for them, top sparks.

Oh, and when you go self employed with your ODPM approved BPEC qual, half a PAT testing qual, and the only person in the country to hold C&G 2392-20, perhaps you could call yourself:

G. Ullible - Electrician

and this statement:

"Both CORGI, NAPIT and ELECSA who are approved by the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister (ODPM) to run Competent Persons Schemes have fully approved the BPEC Certification Ltd electrical qualification as meeting the requirements to enable an operative to join their scheme"

Perhaps the non-existant ODPM should tell NAPIT - because it isnt on thier website. Indeed, with NAPIT, they have a full scheme wich requires a L3 installation qual and NVQ 3, or defined scope B&C (so no rewires then!) in which they quote the EAL course

Corgi, to my knowledge, only run a competent persons scheme at defined scope B&C, and ONLY for people doing electrical work in ADDITION to their main work (ie a plumber wiring in a shower)

Still, despite some pretty experienced and knowledgeable people giving you sound advice on here, you obviously know best!:p

And its only five and a half grand anyway:D

Oh by the way, I've got some old 16th edition regs books for sale, you need them for your course - 100 quid each - better be quick mind:p

Wasting your breath Shakey,the Guy's not listening.I myself nearly signed up in my frustration,but have backed off due too various comments from both this forum and another training establishment!

Goooood Heavens......
this post sat idle for weeks, and then.......BANG!!!!!!!
Looks like I have lit a fuse......thanks for all the comments by the way.....it would seem that as usual all this qualification malarkey is shrouded in murk, and some of the stuff these training bodies are offering as "Full qualification" is not all that.
Ah well......here we go again......
randyrat:(

Sorry guys....................!!

I bow to your judgement ....and cancelled the course!! but all this stuff is out there and there's plenty of people going on these courses, so what are they achieving??

sorry for going on one but what courses should I do ? Is it

EAL domestic installer
C&G 2382-10 (17TH EDITION)
C&G 2391

Had a very stress full weekend with all this going around in my head........!!! think I was trying to convince myself that it was ok .

please excuse me !!

foggy

Foggy.....
I understand your frustration......I have been trying to fathom this out myself for some weeks now.
I want to end up as a fully qualified and certificated sparky, and need to know exactly the qualification and certification requirements. (And the best place to get them)
I have read all the info supplied by MET-UK, Tradeskills, Niceic, OLCI and all the rest, and the only thing I can say for certain is that they all claim to provide full qualification. Now, you would expect them all to offer the same groups of courses for that reason, but no....that isn't the case at all. Depending upon whosoe opinion you listen to, some of the courses available DO NOT supply enough qualification to allow you to go out sparkying legally, even though they claim to do so.
If, like me, you have tons of experience in the electrical field, a bit of cash to spare to pay for such courses, determination and intelligence to succeed, and the luxury of time available to do the courses, you are probably as fed up as me. I can't afford to take two years to get these quals at evening classes, and don't believe I should have to take that long just because "thats the way a real sparky learns". I've done all the spare time college I want to do...it's full time, short term that I need, and to get out there earning before the next mortgage payment.....
If anyone out there knows a training centre that can deliver that, please let me know.....it's like pis**ng in the wind at the moment....
(And for those of you who think people like me just want a quick entry to your trade.....I have been in charge of power generation, distribution, fault diagnosis, maintenance and upkeep on RN Ships and Submarines for the last fifteen years. I just don't have the civilian qualifications)
Moan over, sorry if I have ruffled anyones feathers...
Randyrat

Personally having done the course @ met uk and this is only imho knowing what i know now i would cut met-uk a very wide bearth period it. Main reason and thier are loads more, placement as they promised were none exsistant none of the lads on my cousre got placements and all we got from them as "ooh it the rescession and so forth blah blah but two weeks before i joined admin convinced me that they were beating employers off with a stick regarding placements funny how things change as soon as you part with your cash. Finally re placements its not like we are from small little rock mountain population 4 these were lads from leeds Manchester sheffield and even one lad moved up from london.

Reply to Met-UK course: sound any good? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock