• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Metal clad cable entry in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all, level 3 qualified sparky here, just getting back into it after some time out.
So, what is considered best practice these days when installing a metal clad consumer unit.
Are all these Fancy Dan cable glands actually required or are they just another money spinner.
I've found if you have a lot of cable going in the top, using multiple 20mm knock outs looks crap.
Older style cu I used to just run some trunking across the top which looked good, then use grommets or bushes to go through.
Also the new fire rated meter tails glands are an absolute nightmare to prep, same as the twin and earth shaped ones as they are barely big enough to get the cable through even without the gland tightened up. Any trick to these or are standard glands considered acceptable alternatives.

Last question, I'm installing a consumer unit where meter tails are going up inside a cavity from the meter box - joy.
Replacing with 25mm, but do I need to have a gland going in the rear of the box, or is grommet strip deemed acceptable with some fire sealant or foam applied in the remaining gap. Any tips on good stuff to use

Cheers

Think with cables going in the top, it varies from job to job. Sometime trunking, sometime stuffing glands. Tails can come through the rear knockouts no problems, use grommet strip or some boards have plastic things pre fabricated to fit those holes.
Remeber changing a domestic mains board must be notified.

Cable entries do not need to be fire rated, the consumer unit isn't they just need to maintain the IP of the enclosure.

As above you just need to maintain the integrity of the consumer unit.
so if you make a hole in it then use the appropriate sized glad or grommet.
all these folk who gun expanding foam around the inside of the board are just making it a nightmare for the next bloke who has to work on it...

Hi all, level 3 qualified sparky here, just getting back into it after some time out.
So, what is considered best practice these days when installing a metal clad consumer unit.
Are all these Fancy Dan cable glands actually required or are they just another money spinner.
I've found if you have a lot of cable going in the top, using multiple 20mm knock outs looks crap.
Older style cu I used to just run some trunking across the top which looked good, then use grommets or bushes to go through.
Also the new fire rated meter tails glands are an absolute nightmare to prep, same as the twin and earth shaped ones as they are barely big enough to get the cable through even without the gland tightened up. Any trick to these or are standard glands considered acceptable alternatives.

Last question, I'm installing a consumer unit where meter tails are going up inside a cavity from the meter box - joy.
Replacing with 25mm, but do I need to have a gland going in the rear of the box, or is grommet strip deemed acceptable with some fire sealant or foam applied in the remaining gap. Any tips on good stuff to use

Cheers
Grommet strip is definitely acceptable in the rear of the consumer unit. No need to gland tails rear entry. Bit if intumescent silicone afterwards and jobs a goodun.

It is pprobably wise to put some
poly filler around the hole in the wall that thr cables poke through, but not gunning mastic or expanding foam once the board is fitted isn’t necessary at all imo...

If the CU was fire rated then you would have to seal it, but it’s not , so there’s no need to use fire foam or sealant.
Contrary to belief, good practice doing it, is not good practice at all.

Fire rated is incorrect terminology

non combustible construction is the proper term
And that’s my point.
Its not fire rated hence it doesn’t have to be sealed, it is however to be made of a non combustible material or can be made of a combustible material, housed in a non combustible cabinet.

Reply to Metal clad cable entry in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back