Discuss Metal halide fault 2000w! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

coxy84

I have 4 independently switched 2000w metal halide fitting on a golf driving range.

They all start up ok but after 2 mins or so they will start cycling on and off randomly!

I'm getting consistent mains voltage (240) into the transformer and consistent voltage out of the transformer (400v ish ).

I have disconnected the capacitors and the problem still remains.

The is no obvious damage to the ballast. With the correct transformed voltage entering it.

The fitting were installed around 8 years ago.

So this leads me to the conclusion that it is the lamps that are failing needing more voltage than the ballast can cope with.

Or the ballast is dying.

Just woundered if any one elese has any other ideas? Before I start wasting money on new parts which are very expensive, £145 for a bulb! Ect

im guessing lamps, this is comon with many discharge type fittings. Is there any lights on site that are not cycling? if so tell the client that you think that before spending out on new lamps it would be a good idea to see if you can move the fault around by moving the lamps. its gona be either lamps or control gear at least that way you find out what..

Yes they are the correct ballasts, they have been working correctly for 8 years. They are rated at 400v as they are supposed to be. Hence the transformer from 240v to 400v.

I'm afraid that there isn't a spare bulb I could use.

Thanks

Think MH lamps used to be rated for 5yrs so I think you have got your value there. the ignitor is cooling then restriking so new lamps are needed. Be quick in changing though or the start gear will burn out if left too long.

Think MH lamps used to be rated for 5yrs so I think you have got your value there. the ignitor is cooling then restriking so new lamps are needed. Be quick in changing though or the start gear will burn out if left too long.

always wondered why the strike then cycle, thanks

Reply to Metal halide fault 2000w! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net