Discuss Metal Halide Lamp 35w - Ballast - How to run on DC 12 V in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I want to operate 3 lighting set up using metal halide lamps for studio works or cinematic projects in the future.
as of now i have got two lighting set up and probably will be having one more

1. HCI-T 70 W/942 NDL PB - MH OSRAM. Powerball.
its nominal volt is 87 v and amps .87 A
ignition 3.6 to 5kv.

2. 35 w 942 and 930
nominal/running volt 90 V
amps .52 A

3. in progress. 20 watts
nominal volt around 90 V
amps to be calculated

the shop has given me generic PT FIT AC ballast for both 35 w and 70 w. ignition rated as 4.5 to 5kv
I tested 70 w giving out 92 V nominal volts as opposed to its data sheet's 87 volts. and it works fine.
I couldn't check its start/ignition volt.

I have a DC auto ballast for 60 W. for a HID Zenon auto mobile lamp. 35 W.
both work fine on a 15 V 7 A battery.
DC ballast has start volt rated on it as 23,000 V and nominal/Running volt is 99 V

my requirement is this
to run osram on battery using or dc auto ballast with or without modifying its start volt and or nominal volt.
how can i achieve this.

questions
1. since the start/Ignition volt is 23000 on DC auto ballast with 60 W . does it damage the Osram Powerball as it requires only 5000 v
2. does higher nominal volts on auto ballast 99v damage or overheat osram powerball as it requires only 87 to 90 volt.
3. Can we do any modification. as start it using PT FIT and disconnect or cut off once lamp is ignited having nominal DC supply running.
4. is there a way to reduce 23kv to 5kv
5. could anyone suggest a buck converter which can regulate the output volts to match volts from data sheet. like 87 v .86 amps

Reply to Metal Halide Lamp 35w - Ballast - How to run on DC 12 V in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net