Discuss Metal play equipment supposedly live due to powerlines? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Just been discussing this story, apparently some metal play equipment was giving people a shock, close to overhead powerlines and a transformer...
a small mention of dry condition, wondering on the cause? could it have been acting as a sort of rod and picking up some sort of fault via earth?
Or could it be induced voltages?
thoughts on this?
Staff dismantle playground swings after children suffer electric shocks | Daily Mail Online - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6148627/Staff-dismantle-playground-swings-children-suffer-electric-shocks.html

talking to a guy recently ,works for babcock replacing insulators on overhead lines, (ormskirk area) he was telling me of the effects of power lines on houses under them .several of houses on an estate had to be demolished because the metal truss ties in the roof were turning to dust ,also seemed to affect garden furniture .he has been doing this job for 30 years and would never live under the pylons.

I was recently working on a site in London where a grp substation housing we working in had all of the metal work, door lock, door hinges, ventilation grills, etc showing voltage.. enough to feel - we measured it and it was showing 100v ish to earth. When we detected this the site was not live. The sub was directly under some 275kv overhead lines, consulted with local DNO and their opinion was it was induction.

A few things I've looked at say the transmission line loss ranges 2% to 4% of generated power. Most of this will be I^2R, but some will be inductive loss. In case you think like me, I understand if we were to set up a suitable induction loop and use the power it's still theft, darn it.

If you plant Flourescent tubes upright in the ground underneath power lines, they will light up apparently.
Not full glow, but enough for you to see that they are lit in the dark.
I always thought it was bulbs that go in the ground?

There must be studies that have been done that show field strengths near pylons. Would be interesting to see them.

Must admit I wouldn't fancy living that close to a pylon of that size!

Reply to Metal play equipment supposedly live due to powerlines? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net