Discuss Metal wall light in RCD prpotected ensuit. Outside zones in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

DaveyD

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi

Customer has bought a metal wall lamp for use in their ensuite. Its more than 0.6m from the shower cubicle and the circuit has 30ma RCD protection. Im not a fan of non bathroom lights in a bathroom but would you fit it?
Thanks in advance guys.
Kind Regards, David

Hi

Customer has bought a metal wall lamp for use in their ensuite. Its more than 0.6m from the shower cubicle and the circuit has 30ma RCD protection. Im not a fan of non bathroom lights in a bathroom but would you fit it?
Thanks in advance guys.
Kind Regards, David

has it got any switches on it for turning it on or off or has it got a pull cord of some sort ?

No pull cord or switching on the wall light itself (If it did I would cut off anyway - Hate THEM). Operated on a seperate pull cord light switch (customer request)
Regards, David

Last edited:
Are we sugesting that its in zone 3 ? wall mounted lighting may not have a degree of ingress protection (ip) appropriate in zone 3 and would therefore not satisfy the requirements of bs7671 if that helps

just had a thought are you able to put it above 2.4 metre thats outside the zone in zone 3 or maybe thats to high ? maybe you will have to get your head in a book lol

Last edited by a moderator:
It's ok outside zones long as any extraneous conducive part is connected to the met. Only other thing is manufacturing info for installing in that location.

Are we sugesting that its in zone 3 ? wall mounted lighting may not have a degree of ingress protection (ip) appropriate in zone 3 and would therefore not satisfy the requirements of bs7671 if that helps

just had a thought are you able to put it above 2.4 metre thats outside the zone in zone 3 or maybe thats to high ? maybe you will have to get your head in a book lol
Thanks, No, I am aware of the regs. Its outside zones my friend. Its just suitability for a ensuite and steam from the shower. Just getting a feel for what you all think that's all. Thanks for your input.

I would inform the customer that whilst it can be fitted within the regulations it is in no way waterproof and the condensation could run down the lamp and onto the fitting. note this on the certificate as well.
But I would still fit it if the customer wants it!

Spin is correct for in the zones and for out of zone general rules apply, I am sure somewhere that it says any fitting must be suitable for the application but I can't remember where.

Yes it does say that Richard - agreed. I am aware of the regs as per my first post and that I am out of zones for this light. My point of posting was not regarding the regs but I was just asking what you guys would normally do in this situation - customer asking you to fit metal wall lamp - and you have all given valid suggestions so thanks to you all again. :) Regards, David

Reply to Metal wall light in RCD prpotected ensuit. Outside zones in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net