Discuss Meter Fitting Legal Position? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

rolyberkin

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
My sister has bought a building plot and I have fitted a temp supply, Western Power have fitted the head but Scottish Power cocked up didn’t turn up. They are now saying they will be fitting the meter earliest on the 3rd May? They move into the caravan on site next Wednesday! Anyone know the legal position on the supplier having to fit a meter or know who fits for Scottish Power? Their customer service is non existent!

My sister has bought a building plot and I have fitted a temp supply, Western Power have fitted the head but Scottish Power cocked up didn’t turn up. They are now saying they will be fitting the meter earliest on the 3rd May? They move into the caravan on site next Wednesday! Anyone know the legal position on the supplier having to fit a meter or know who fits for Scottish Power? Their customer service is non existent!
Could be that SP weren't notified in time to fit into your Sister's time constraints, just saying.

Could be that SP weren't notified in time to fit into your Sister's time constraints, just saying.

From the OP they were booked in and didn't turn up.

@rolyberkin From my experience with SP, you'd be better off just getting another supplier in if possible. This will just be the start of the problems.

Bit of light reading Roly - makes me feel a bit lazy visiting my mum and reading her ‘People’s Friend’!
Having just read the Theft act (Abstraction of electricity) think I should make a name for myself and fit a private meter!

Having just read the Theft act (Abstraction of electricity) think I should make a name for myself and fit a private meter!
With the majority of criminal offences relating to acquisitive crime the key word in proving an offence is ‘dishonest’. If they are a crock of ---- and you can justify connecting up and have told them what you are doing I can’t see any offence of abstracting electricity being proved especially if you were fitting your own meter. Whether there are any civil or other obscure offences I wouldn’t know.

i would wonder if you did fit a meter and kept an auditable record of how much was used. and when they turn up in may say they have used x kw of electricity please add it to the bill then i dont see what would come of it other than a bit telling off, if it is doen safely in accordance with relevant safety issues in mind and is not left dangerous. they cant say illegal abstraction of electricity as you have given the amount used is given with offer to pay, for a crime there has to be a guilty mind and by offering payment when due there is no deceit. i personally would fit one and see what comes of it? might actually get them to come out quicker!

Reply to Meter Fitting Legal Position? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock