Discuss Meter reading corrupted in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The meter looks like a Sangamo Floton meter.
I found this on a forum from a New Zealand (basically all the same systems as the U.K) meter calibrator / tester.

The Floton bearing meters 1970's ( Sangamo series ) did not have any major problems at all except Jamming jumping dials.
Thank you. Yes it says Sangamo and Floton on the face of the meter. I’ll look into that too.

Just had a look at the earlier picture, the meter seems damaged

Call your supplier and request they change the meter today as an urgent safety matter- let them know the social landlord contractor may have damaged it during works.
Emphasise you can see physical damage to the meter and you would like it replaced

As others have said- it is not possible to use this much power in that time, point this out also

As I said earlier- record the call and let them know at the start of the call.

I'd be reluctant to let the meter be removed unless it was going to an independant meter test / calibration company.
Once the supplier has the meter and it's been thrown around in vans along the way, you've lost any evidence that the meter may be faulty.

Just had a look at the earlier picture, the meter seems damaged

Call your supplier and request they change the meter today as an urgent safety matter- let them know the social landlord contractor may have damaged it during works.
Emphasise you can see physical damage to the meter and you would like it replaced

As others have said- it is not possible to use this much power in that time, point this out also

As I said earlier- record the call and let them know at the start of the call.
I’ve sent the images to the power company to log them as evidence. They have a copy of all the email correspondence with the landlords too.
I have everything in writing as evidence should I need it.

I'd be reluctant to let the meter be removed unless it was going to an independant meter test / calibration company.
Once the supplier has the meter and it's been thrown around in vans along the way, you've lost any evidence that the meter may be faulty.
The power company is now sending someone out to inspect the meter. I have kept all the photographs and emails as evidence too.
They said if the meter is found to be faulty they will replace it and bill me accordingly. Maybe I shouldn’t let them remove it until this is all sorted then.

I may be a bit old and stupid but I am sure 77001 - 17296 = 59705? i.e. 60k difference! Thus your meter moved back 60K by what appears to be the first digit slipping. I would be asking for a refund on the basis of the energy companys inability to see that it has gone back, and saying forward hence charging you for the extra. Incompetent hardly describes it.

The supplier assumes it’s gone forward. Computer says no when it comes to them going backwards.

It sounds like it’s at least being investigated, which is a good sign

Computer also says that if it's gone forwards, then you must have used the electricity.
That's the way things work with big, faceless companies. The default is that they are right and you are wrong, so they leave it to you to protest, and then protest again and again, and eventually someone will actually listen.
Don't take it personally, don't pay, and don't worry about it. Eventually they'll see sense, and you will normally get a little ex gratia payment for your trouble.

Reply to Meter reading corrupted in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock