Discuss Meter Seals - Large scale in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tom20

Hello all.
This is my first post so hey hey.
I will try to explain the whole picture of my problem, you will have to forgive my typing skills some what as well!

We are sub contracted by a contractor who have a large contract with a council, opening around 4 flats a day on a huge council estate to do kitchens and bathrooms, also upgrading the electrics to whatever the condition report comes up saying.
The most popular is a full rewire with new CCU, new meter tails, new bonding etc. some jobs will just be a kitchen rewire with CCU. or any combination of the previous. but most popular is a full rewire.
All rewires are done within a day, some take 2 but no more.
so with that picture in mind, we have been doing between 3-5 a day for the last year and a bit. so there are a couple thousand we have done in this particular estate, and also some previously from a different estate with the same contractor and council.

SO the problem...meter seals have been cut doing the majority of the works, in a typical property you would have the incoming supply into the meter then the tails and the CCU. isolators and fuses are in locked intake rooms of which we have never had access.
the other problem is we are told at the weekend which properties we are opening the next week. after speaking with the current supplier, they have said they need 2 weeks notice to bring someone out to cut the seals, then come the next day to re-seal...that is with the current job, with the previous jobs they said a guy will go round and do as many as he can.....for a rate of £450 a day.

I am aware of the do's and dont's with meter seals, but this was a way of works here before i joined and now it is being noticed that something needs to be done.
I know in the "real world" many just cut the seals and ignore it or poke the broken seal back on. With the supplier being so difficult to work with and so expensive and am wondering if anyone has experience of previous posts and or any suggestions.

I am aware this is an offence but before we have been in a difficult position to keep works going when on such a tight schedule. The actual electrical teams are doing one rewire everyday minimum, week on end for very low rates.

Any comments welcome, thank you for your help / suggestions.

Its a simple choice mate...cut the seals and be dammed or wait and pay. When i cut the seals they have to prove i cut them and if they cant well tough they will reseal the fuse. If you wait you will find it getting quite costly! I am however led to believe that if you think the installation is dangerous you can cut the seals and do an emergency board change. The arguments can go from there

Edit: I have also been known to work live which is another option you don't really want to explore

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been in this situation before.

I cant remember if it was UKPN or EDF, one of them called the council I was working for and requested we evened the flats out better across the phases.
I went round there, pulled the fuses and swapped some cables round. They then called the council and complained that I had cut the seals!!

the old lead seals were quite easy to remove&replace without cutting the seal-wire
also quite often there were old lead seals left on the floor by the head, i used to recycle them, the newer ones are impossible to remove without cutting them off

I have a similar situation - I have a guy doing kitchen rewires and CCU changes daily. How we got around it was buy a bag of meter seals from ebay (100 for a few quid) and crimp them down.

Any issues we call DNO out on an emergency (lose cut-outs, damaged cut-outs, etc) and they come out same day and repair/replace.

The DNO dont care - we spoken to them several times about it and they say we know they get cut as long as they are sealed then we will turn a blind eye.

Bottom line is they belong to the DNO and your not aloud to cut them and remove fuse, but it happens! Just make sure you seal them back up what ever you do!

Bottom line is that registered, competent sparkies should be allowed to remove and reseal fuses (that's if they have seals in the first place).

Its a stupid situation we are all in.

all the money the goverment spent training yous and pttting you through college and they dont even trust you to remove all loads and pull a fuse, knock his door and tell him

Reply to Meter Seals - Large scale in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net