Discuss Meter tail length in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Quick issue here, went to a job today, basically the roof you can see is a garage roof attached to the side of a bungalow, the roof is coming off and being raised up in line with the rest of the house and being converted into a dining room and having a breeze block liner inside.

Other than all the other work, the builder wants a new board / move old position to opposite wall but on other side and a meter to the left, so probably 5 - 6 meters worth of meter tails.

Now I know the 3m rule, etc, but just wanted a second opinion on it, would you do it? I don't feel to happy with it to be honest, its more the fact the meter tails will be run / clipped along side the joist above the ceiling and not RCD protected, its a bit iffy isn't it.

The builder im dealing with, really nice bloke, but he was deaf, very nice bloke, but it was a challenge trying to have a conversation with him about £3k of work that needs to be done and lots of bits and pieces. You can imagine, there was quite a lot of notes and writing down going on.

Oh the supply is just the other side of the wall in an external cabinet.

photo.jpgphoto1.jpg

fit ametal case KMF, 80A in the meter cabinet on short 25mm tails . then come off that in 16mm 3 core SWA to CU. if replacing the CU use a metal case CU. if not, then gland the SWA into a galv ad. box and continue the tails into CU. use earthing nuts.

The new CU is going in the lounge kitchen area bit so it's got to look nice, so metal clad is out the window, so haven't got opions available like suggested as it wouldn't look great. I did think of this bit ruled it out, I have done it before as suggested but this time I can't get away with an industrious looking cu.

stick a bloody cupboard round it. or ask them if they want a wi-fi CU.

Hi,

Quick issue here, went to a job today, basically the roof you can see is a garage roof attached to the side of a bungalow, the roof is coming off and being raised up in line with the rest of the house and being converted into a dining room and having a breeze block liner inside.

Other than all the other work, the builder wants a new board / move old position to opposite wall but on other side and a meter to the left, so probably 5 - 6 meters worth of meter tails.

Now I know the 3m rule, etc, but just wanted a second opinion on it, would you do it? I don't feel to happy with it to be honest, its more the fact the meter tails will be run / clipped along side the joist above the ceiling and not RCD protected, its a bit iffy isn't it.

The builder im dealing with, really nice bloke, but he was deaf, very nice bloke, but it was a challenge trying to have a conversation with him about £3k of work that needs to be done and lots of bits and pieces. You can imagine, there was quite a lot of notes and writing down going on.

Oh the supply is just the other side of the wall in an external cabinet.

View attachment 25688View attachment 25689
You know more than me then, if 2 tails and an earth were tied together for 4 to 5 mtrs I couldn't see a problem, okay I am aware the numpties at the IET may think differently with their nice ties and suits on lol

you can use a plastic CU if you ensure that the SWA is restrained above it so as not to put stress on the gland into CU.

I'll just tell him I can move it a bit but not that far, the house needs a rewire to be honest, over 80% of it is being replaced and a new cu so might as well just do the whole lot.

The new CU is going in the lounge kitchen area bit so it's got to look nice, so metal clad is out the window, so haven't got opions available like suggested as it wouldn't look great. I did think of this bit ruled it out, I have done it before as suggested but this time I can't get away with an industrious looking cu.

Make off the SWA into a metal box fitted flush behind the CU.

If fitting a CU somewhere visible I do this with all of the cables going to it, they can all come straight in to the back of it then without being seen. Plus it's easier for the plasterers to get the wall flat than if there is a big bunch of cables sticking out.

You know more than me then, if 2 tails and an earth were tied together for 4 to 5 mtrs I couldn't see a problem, okay I am aware the numpties at the IET may think differently with their nice ties and suits on lol

Unfortunately it's the numpties from the Networks that insist on the 3 metre rule of thumb, and that is exactly what it is a rule of thumb, you could ask them that your extending 5 meters and there maybe a good chance they would say yes.

Above a ceiling does not need RCD protection re regs 522.6,100 & 522.6.102

Yes nothing wrong or ugly about metal cu. Also armoured going into the top of a box from the ceiling does not look ugly at all
Are you a drama queen by chance

I used to use a flush mounted MK Sentry unit with SWA sub main glanded into the back , used loads in the past ...

If the wall where existing board is/will have thermalites built inside to satisfy Building Regs, even simpler to flush in and not move. Also if have to relocate, is floor insulation required, giving you alternate route for a sub?

Reply to Meter tail length in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net