Discuss Meter tail upgrade what the hell in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

chris day

London Sparks
UKPN came out for a client as I suggested they have their supply upgraded to 100a.

My new tails are 25mm from the consumer side of the service double pole isolators.

What I can’t understand is that UKPN won’t upgrade the head because the tails which I cannot touch (between the bottom service isolator and service head) have not been upgraded?
This also includes the leg between meter and isolator

What they hell who changes there tails is UKPN won’t?

B47D7E02-4768-46DF-AF91-54D5373E5849.png

SparkyChick

Making a banana smoothy for my fave gorilla
Staff member
So what I've done in the past is had an engineer out and I've asked them to cut the seals so I can upgrade the tails. They've obliged and gone and sat in the van for 15 minutes while I do the work, then they come back, I always have them check tightness, re-install the fuse and re-seal.

My DNO is WPD and the engineers have always been very accommodating.

Reactions: DPG

PEG

Respected Member
I would concur,with Sparkychic....these are alterations which occur,while others have a brew,in their van ;)

Wilko

Electrician's Arms
Hi - The jobs that do seem to go smoothly for me are when the DNO is also the energy supplier. Chap arrives, we do the necessary, job done. The Pot Noodle energy suppliers - not so much.

SWD

Gender neutral
Electrician's Arms
I would concur,with Sparkychic....these are alterations which occur,while others have a brew,in their van ;)
Sparky chick also has the added bonus of just having to loosen a few buttons of her boiler suit to get the engineers to be accommodating.........

Andy78

Respected Member
DNO round here are very nice chaps. Did a job with them today and now the van is richer to the tune of 30m of 25mm tails, about 10m of 16mm G/Y, a box full of 100A henley blocks and a dozen rolls of tape.

All for the bargain price of a bagful of sausage rolls.

SWD

Gender neutral
Electrician's Arms
SparkyHotChick in her area can get anything connected/dealt with by the DNO engineers then anyone else.......

Screenshot 2019-05-14 at 15.57.26.jpg

SWD

Gender neutral
Electrician's Arms
To be honest....that's how i picture YOU

It's great being anonymous...i bet you think i look like Thor.....when really,i'm just a tiny,pickled brain,in a fish-bowl
You're a Manc, they are are all losers, pfffft The Liverpudlians are far more intelligent and fun to hang around with, this is me,

Screenshot 2019-05-14 at 16.50.47.jpg

Reactions: PEG

Leesparkykent

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I've never called the MOP/DNO to come and pull a fuse, upgrade tails or upgrade main earthing conductor. I haven't got time for that.....If it needs doing, it just gets done as part of the job by me.

PEG

Respected Member
I've never called the MOP/DNO to come and pull a fuse, upgrade tails or upgrade main earthing conductor. I haven't got time for that.....If it needs doing, it just gets done as part of the job by me.
I like,do,and agree...

Just not ready to put it in writing...;):eek::cool:

Leesparkykent

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I like,do,and agree...

Just not ready to put it in writing...;):eek::cool:
Sod them lol....What they going to do.....Any way I would just deny it and wear gloves so my paw prints aren’t all over it :D I changed a rotten meter board the other day, at an art gallery I’m doing :eek:

PEG

Respected Member
Sod them lol....What they going to do.....Any way I would just deny it and wear gloves so my paw prints aren’t all over it :D I changed a rotten meter board the other day, at an art gallery I’m doing :eek:
....Although we cannot return any works of art...we give a prize,for all those,we show...

Whose gonna show their age,and flag where that's from...

GBDamo

Subscribed Member
....Although we cannot return any works of art...we give a prize,for all those,we show...

Whose gonna show their age,and flag where that's from...
I'm sitting here humming the "gallery" tune but cannot for the life of me remember the program name.

It had Tony Hart in it, was it Hartbeat or or Take Hart or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Zerax

Regular EF Member
I'm sitting here humming the "gallery" tune but cannot for the life of me remember the program name.

It had Tony Hart in it, was it Hartbeat or or Take Hart or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Vision On (just asked my Mum)

stevels4

Regular EF Member
That’s bad....cables not colour harmonised...I would have repositioned the meter to the left over the cut out and fitted the isolator to the right to save crossing the cables and then re-sealed everything.
Cut out looks like an early series 5 so probably 80A maximum load rating.

happyhippydad

Electrician's Arms
Lee, I know I'm sounding a bit of a dxxk but do you really think you should say that so casually. People listen to you on this site as you are experienced and knowledgeable.

"With knowledge comes great responsibility", man I'm cringing as I write this post, but also giggling!

I know you've specifically added 'by me', but some youngsters will ignore that bit just thinking it's fine to casually pull it.

Of course we pull the cutout at times as we simply have to but we still take some precautions.

1. Switch off all MCB's before pulling.
2. Put on electricians gloves.
3. Don't pull certain cutouts that could explode (cant remember the name of the substance, bakerlite, iron?).
4. Expect there are other precautions as well.

SWD

Gender neutral
Electrician's Arms
Lee, I know I'm sounding a bit of a dxxk but do you really think you should say that so casually. People listen to you on this site as you are experienced and knowledgeable.

"With knowledge comes great responsibility", man I'm cringing as I write this post, but also giggling!

I know you've specifically added 'by me', but some youngsters will ignore that bit just thinking it's fine to casually pull it.

Of course we pull the cutout at times as we simply have to but we still take some precautions.

1. Switch off all MCB's before pulling.
2. Put on electricians gloves.
3. Don't pull certain cutouts that could explode (cant remember the name of the substance, bakerlite, iron?).
4. Expect there are other precautions as well.
Are you phissed?

happyhippydad

Electrician's Arms
Are you phissed?
Similar... I've done my back in so am on codeine, plus drinking strong coffee so feel a bit Euphoric and righteous until they wear off in an hour or 2, then I'll just feel moody!

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.