Discuss Meter tails buried in wall. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have been asked to rewire a kitchen for a client and I have noticed the meter tails are buried in wall and taken through ceiling to fuse board approx 3 meters. Now they have no additional protection. So my question is if my work tests fine and within regulations is it my responsibility to rectify this or as I didn't do it will my work be fine as it is notifiable to BC?

your work has to comply. i would however make a note on the EIC about the tails, along with any other non-compliances.

Also this may be a stupid question but I have also been asked to change fan in bathroom. It's directly above bath and is not low voltage. Now with it being a like for like change I know this isn't certifiable. So do I need to put a low voltage in now?

- - - Updated - - -

So regardless of tails and my work complies, then it's all fine?? But just make a not on EIC.

as long as your new fan is IPX4 and suitable for the environment, you can fit a 230V.

fan... 701.55 (viii).

tails do not comply with 522.6.101, but regs. are not retrospective and so they do not have to comply with current regs. as long as they complied with previous ( 16th ) regs. DNO recommend a switch fuse for tails >3m.

Thank you very much and I know the reg for the switch fuse on tails but as work was not done by me I don't have to worry about rectifying. I was worrying that an argument could be made on the fact that as these are the main source for all circuits that this could affect my circuit thus put me under obligation to fix?

you have to make a common sense judgement in these cases. if it were unsafe, then consider rectification, but these tails have been there for XX years without any problems, so you are leaving the installation no less safe than before.

Sorry to be a pendant, but low voltage includes mains, I think you mean extra low voltage. Not trying to be a smart arse but you may get the wrong thing at the wholesalers if you ask for low voltage.
So even directly above a bath it doesn't need to be low voltage. Forgive my repetitive questions I have OCD and I like to get reassurance.

Remember though, you must follow manufacturers instructions, so if the new fan requires 3A protection, that must be adhered to, regardless of being like-for-like.

Remember though, you must follow manufacturers instructions, so if the new fan requires 3A protection, that must be adhered to, regardless of being like-for-like.

well said. though how a 3A fuse will stop a fan catching fire is beyond my comprehension.

The tails are ok as long as it the fused correctly, as they would have been installed to a previous version of the regs. Should you have to upgrade the CU tails then they will need to comply with the current regs.

Reply to Meter tails buried in wall. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net