Discuss Meter to CU in 16mm2 T+E?? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

overskilled

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
So moving house, went to get entry meter readings today and discovered the meter to CU cabling isn't in tails...but in 16mm2 Twin and Earth... meter is all sealed by the DNO though...anyone else seen this done? (meter was previously under the stairs but has been moved to the front of the house into an exterior meter box).
Personally.....I don't like it..might be technically alright, but....that little voice inside my head is going..wrong wrong wrong....particularly as whoever did it has taken the cable down through the wall, under the floor, up inside the cupboard wall to about 3 feet up, come out of the wall and run across the wall surface in 25x50mm trunking for several more feet and then down into the CU....sticks out like a hens behind and looks seriously rough....

Check these pics out. I found this 10mm2 T & E run from one service head, onlong the outside wall to a service head on a 3 bed semi detactched. Now I didnt see how it was connected in the other house to the service head but surely this can not be right. Its a rented property as well.

WP_001322.jpgWP_001324.jpgWP_001323.jpg

Length of meter tails are normally dictated by DNO to 3m (some 2m) if there fuse is to provide protection against fault current The cable also has to complie with BS 7671 (just one reg alone, 434.2.1). You don't state length of these tails, but I suspect they are in excess of 3m. They will therefore need own fuse. Installation in wall less than 50mm etc etc, requires RCD protection or mechanical protection. The current carrying capacity/volt drop would need to be considered, don't think 16mm would be sufficient for most domestic installations.These tails should be swa or enclosed in metal conduit, but I have seen similar installation.

Surely this depends on the main fuse size, my house has 60amp and whilst I have 25mm I could get away with 16mm. You never seem to get straight answers from the DNO's and I have seen it stated must be 25mm must be less than 3 metre but have seen new houses with 16mm and more than 3 metre. Following this on I am putting in a shower feed 10.5kW, no problem 10mm with 40/45 amp MCB and rcbo but this becomes my problem. Preferred solution would be MCB in existing box and additional RCD box but struggling to get schneider to commit to suitable MCB for Merlin Gerin box. Alternative is to run cable from out side of existing consumer unit main switch to a seperate dedicated RCBO feeding shower, my thought is that I could use 10mm throughout as the cable between the main switch and the RCBO would be protected from overload by the RCBO - any thoughts?
Can't use Henly blocks as tails comes through wall in steel and existing consumer unit is 3 inches from corner of 2 walls so no route for new cables or room to add Henly blocks (my normal preferred method).

length of meter tails are normally dictated by dno to 3m (some 2m) if there fuse is to provide protection against fault current the cable also has to complie with bs 7671 (just one reg alone, 434.2.1). You don't state length of these tails, but i suspect they are in excess of 3m. They will therefore need own fuse. Installation in wall less than 50mm etc etc, requires rcd protection or mechanical protection. The current carrying capacity/volt drop would need to be considered, don't think 16mm would be sufficient for most domestic installations.these tails should be swa or enclosed in metal conduit, but i have seen similar installation.

I do ....:)

Reply to Meter to CU in 16mm2 T+E?? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net