Discuss metering submains in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Morning all,

I have a first floor office, to be rented out by owners who occupy downstairs, the upstairs is fed by two sub boards, they want metering for the rented up stairs, but only one meter, is there a way anyone knows to run both submains through one meter?

Thanks in advance?

feed into meter, then into henley blocks then to the 2 DBs.

The mains panel where all the sub mains feed is from a rather old federal electrical panel, my initial thought was to stay clear of this, and put a meter local to the submain, we then found another submain feeding another half of the upstairs, it might mean splitting the two from the main panel, taking one new suitably sized feed to a meter then off via two new switch fuses to the submains, i wondered if there was an easy solution by means of ct metering or something

Two meters was suggested but they really want the metering in the ground floor switch room away from the tenants, cost doesnt seem to be an issue so is there a ct metering solution that would do this? Google not my friend in this case

post 4 is your answer, you could even fit one meter to the supply then feed 2 switch fuses from it where your 2 submains would terminate and there would be local isolation at the meter end for the submains as well, but post 4 is correct also.

Two meters was suggested but they really want the metering in the ground floor switch room away from the tenants, cost doesnt seem to be an issue so is there a ct metering solution that would do this? Google not my friend in this case

Hi,
Have a chat with these people, units such as the nemo 96 can use long ct connections but you have issues such as power and accuracy loss in the ct connections, and what happens if the CTs go open circuit....
Rayleigh Instruments for Current Transformers, kWh Meters, Relays, Instrumentation and Associated Products - Home Page
Best sollution would be to ask Rayleigh for meters that can be fitted close to the supply cable and then read via modbus or other data link of your choice...

Thanks for all the replies, will look into options suggested, client now talking about possibility of offering office space with electric inclusive lol as they cant easily separate the heating from downstairs either, at least there is a possibility of some solutions should they be required cheers guys

Reply to metering submains in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net