Discuss Meters and boards Question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

From what I understand, you’re working for a company that is making a profit out of you working unsafely.
Your company should either arrange for the DNO to attend to pull the fuse, or get someone accredited to do it.

I’m just asking does the board need upgrading.
I’d highly doubt I’m accredited to do this main fuse pulling but reading threads on here it seems loads do it
Luke, as you seem to know, there are a few more problems than changing the CU to deal with, although interpretation of regulations may be involved in the actual answer you're after.
If no certification is involved who is the work being done for?
There seems plenty corner cutting going on, some of it dangerous.

What’s wrong exactly? Aw that’s what I’d like to know
You are not authorised to pull the DNO’s fuse and from what you’ve said, you have come across vague with regards to other aspects covered by BS7671 that covers the overall installation, demand, diversity, testing, certification, etc. And you’re not proving dead.

Luke, as you seem to know, there are a few more problems than changing the CU to deal with, although interpretation of regulations may be involved in the actual answer you're after.
If no certification is involved who is the work being done for?
There seems plenty corner cutting going on, some of it dangerous.
Well if I was working for myself in this situation then I’d rather just put an upto date 6way board in for example which actually has protection with circuit breakers instead of old rewirables.

I genuinely have no idea if we should be pulling fuses out for opening the meters to remove a tail.
I’m just doing what the company has asked me to do to carry out the job

In fairness Luke, credit to you for coming on here and asking questions, as you clearly are not comfortable that what you’ve been told to do is correct.
That’s right, I’m very sceptical and I was hoping someone with experience could just tell me a right and wrong.

As to the board change, not enough information. But generally speaking there is no imperative for it to be changed. Although it may be recommended to the client it is just not a yes or no answer.

The company you work for should have some sort of procedure in place for getting the fuse removed.

Any work has to be done to bs7671 18th edition.

If you know these regs then you might be needing RCD protection, SPD, if altering or making additions to the circuit it should be up to current standards.

the correct certificate needs issued every time.

Well, this is interesting reading.

Recently, I attended a house where this heater swap had been done. The company that came only changed the heaters. They told the homeowners to have their E7 tariff changed.
This was done, but the meter guys didn't reconnect the E7 board... leaving my customers without any heating. (said they weren't allowed to).

I was actually thinking of doing this myself as a business idea, but you guys are putting me right off!

Have the customer get an isolator installed from their supplier to make the changeover easier, swap the heaters, test the circuits and move the E7 board to 24hr.
Hence a recent thread I made about disposing of the bricks.

My heater choice would be the Rointe Kyros range, but would accept other suggestions.

Reading the Rointe website, it does say that any warranty would be void if the plugs were cut off... so i'd have to change the switches to sockets, and therefore changing the board to RCD protected if required.
I don't know, but i'd expect other manufacturers to say the same regarding plugs??

You definetly should not be disconnecting any cables from the meter if that is what you mean

Hi Luke - I think Minor Works Cert for changing the supply feed point and another for a new FCU, if I've understood correctly. As you are moving the tails, they would have to comply with current regs for sizing, insulation and support.
Clearly they should not be asking you to work live.

I think we’ve scared Luke off with all this.

Maybe Luke is merely someone who fixes the new heaters to the wall and takes the old ones away. Perhaps the electrical work is done by someone else in his team who is qualified to do so. Perhaps the management above have agreements in place with the suppliers who come round afterwards and reseal fuses that the team have removed.
Optimistic tag alert!!!

Maybe Darth Vader is his father
“NOOOooooo!!!”

I think we’ve scared Luke off with all this.

Maybe Luke is merely someone who fixes the new heaters to the wall and takes the old ones away. Perhaps the electrical work is done by someone else in his team who is qualified to do so. Perhaps the management above have agreements in place with the suppliers who come round afterwards and reseal fuses that the team have removed.
Optimistic tag alert!!!

Maybe Darth Vader is his father
“NOOOooooo!!!”
Just the boring dick measuring tradesman replies. Someone asks a simple question and because they don’t know every little rule on electrics that means they aren’t a “sparky” so it’s better to just ignore :)

Reply to Meters and boards Question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock