Discuss Meters and boards Question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

OP, you asked a simple question, you got a simple answer;
The company you work for is cutting so many corners, they've made a circle. :)

If the work was only changing the heaters, isolating locally, then I don't think BS7671 applies as its not the "fixed wiring" that's being worked on.... but anything that involves disconnecting the supply/ pulling the main fuse (which even us boring tradesmen are not permitted to do) or working in the distribution boards would need a qualified spark, and certification afterwards.

Obviously you cannot name the company you work for on this very public forum, but you could tell us the make of the heaters you are fitting. They may not be as good as the advertising claims.

Oh dear. Another unsatisfied customer.
Seen it all. Someone asks a question and y
OP, you asked a simple question, you got a simple answer;
The company you work for is cutting so many corners, they've made a circle. :)

If the work was only changing the heaters, isolating locally, then I don't think BS7671 applies as its not the "fixed wiring" that's being worked on.... but anything that involves disconnecting the supply/ pulling the main fuse (which even us boring tradesmen are not permitted to do) or working in the distribution boards would need a qualified spark, and certification afterwards.

Obviously you cannot name the company you work for on this very public forum, but you could tell us the make of the heaters you are fitting. They may not be as good as the advertising claims.

I am qualified. I just asked a question about permitted work on the meter as I was unsure as some companies can have agreements with firms.
The board question was linked to this and just to see about rcd.

Thanks

I can see OP's point chaps. Its all a learning thing. Some of the members on here, appear to have gone from zero to hero in one step and nothing in between.

I can see OP's point chaps. Its all a learning thing. Some of the members on here, appear to have gone from zero to hero in one step and nothing in between.
I agree wholeheartedly, mate.
Ok, Luke may be a bit short of knowledge in some areas but at least he realizes something is going ---- up and feels that he wants to do something about it. He wants to learn.
There do seem to be a lot more 'know alls', these days.....jumping in presumptuously.

Fair point but it's workplace safety issue and not really about electrical practice. Luke's employer has a simple way to avoid live working - just ask the DNO to fit an isolator. Asking employees to work live without justification is a criminal offence. Credit to Luke for questioning the situation but it won't be resolved by friendly advice from a forum, these things are fine until they're not fine.

Fair point but it's workplace safety issue and not really about electrical practice. Luke's employer has a simple way to avoid live working - just ask the DNO to fit an isolator. Asking employees to work live without justification is a criminal offence. Credit to Luke for questioning the situation but it won't be resolved by friendly advice from a forum, these things are fine until they're not fine.

'course your right, and I think he knows the answer to his question. But he just wants confirmation of his doubts, before he opens his gob. You know what its like, going in to the Lions den with your boss, telling him what he's doing is not safe & right.

They're shysters and criminals and want showing up as such.....but when someone needs a wage, what do they do? They're put in no mans land and that's where the problem becomes greater for them. I know it's worse being in a dangerous situation but what do you do....report it and lose your living wage?

If it's the heaters I think they are, they're carp IMHO. Selling snake oil. I have a customer that has had the exact situation. Storage heaters removed SO fitted, new super duper storage heaters installed. As others have said he was left with no heating after a meter change.
If people want electric heating there's plenty of better choices at a fraction of the cost!

That’s correct. To perform the task safely we have to pull the main fuse. If we don’t pull the fuse out we have to put the economy board live tail into a live Henley block and hope we don’t touch it with our fingers!

That’s correct. To perform the task safely we have to pull the main fuse. If we don’t pull the fuse out we have to put the economy board live tail into a live Henley block and hope we don’t touch it with our fingers!
The problem this is not a one-off its become standard practice for the job that you are doing.

I am a bit uneasy with this: "
Electrician suffered shock when electrical supply had not been properly isolated
Inadequate isolation
An electrician received a severe electric shock whilst carrying out building refurbishment and fitting out work in a new estates office. The electrical supply had not been properly isolated." If he is an electrician, how come he did not go through the safe isolation procedure? It should be embedded on the back of any decent sparks eyelids surely? I find it a bit odd it is on the HSE website.

I am a bit uneasy with this: "
Electrician suffered shock when electrical supply had not been properly isolated
Inadequate isolation
An electrician received a severe electric shock whilst carrying out building refurbishment and fitting out work in a new estates office. The electrical supply had not been properly isolated." If he is an electrician, how come he did not go through the safe isolation procedure? It should be embedded on the back of any decent sparks eyelids surely? I find it a bit odd it is on the HSE website.
Maybe he needed to pay the bills

Luke, I suggest you speak to the local HSE Inspector confidentially and let him know what is going on.

From what you say there are some very basic but serious breaches of Legislation including the HASAW Act 1975, and the Electricity at Work Regulations. In addition it sounds like you are breaching the requirements of BS7671 as well, and into the bargain interfering with DNO equipment.

An alternative approach would be to speak to a safety officer at the DNO and arrange for him to carry out a "coincidental" visit whilst you guys are at a premises
;)

Reply to Meters and boards Question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock