Discuss Meters and boards Question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I work for a company who installs electric heaters.

Usually we remove old storage heaters and replace them with our heaters using the same point with a new switched fcu.

The fuse board is usually just an old Wylex type with just an on off switch and non switched fuses.
The board is powered from the live coming out of the radio teleswitch meter so to make the board live 24 hours we remove this cable and put it into a Henley block which has permanent live feed.

The questions are....
Are we allowed to touch these meters as there are stickers all over them saying property of the electricity board.

Secondly, using the old points coming from the old style board with just an on off switch. Is this ok?

Some electricity supply companies don’t use separate meters for economy 7.
They just charge a different rate for all electricity used during the off peak times.
However, it sounds like these new heaters are not storage, and are designed to be used at any time.

Yeh you are messing with DNO equipment and you can be prosecuted in theory at least. Although I think we all know it is very rare if ever. And @ipf I guess they will be fed from Henley blocks, I did mean when they bypass the E7 and go on to what is an E7 tariff daytime rate they are gonna faint when they get the bill.

Yes all the electricity in the house is cheaper over night because of the tariff.
Forget the tariff and the prices of electric etc.
I’m more curious as to should we interfere with these meters belonging to the electricity board and is the fuse board ok considering it is old with only an on off switch.

Looks like you work for a load of cowboys. Do your customers know that you are taking them off E7? Do they know that standard electricity is 3 times the cost of gas.
Only cowboys touch electricity board, actually DNO, equipment.

Lads, forget the e7 tariff. Customers are made aware that they have no need for it. It isn’t the tariff I need to know about.
It’s the old board and the dno equipment I’m curious about

Sounds like fed from henleys not E7...….does sound crap, though.
Still reusing rewireables???

Yes we just use the old points which are connected to an old type board with rewirable fuses. Old board with just an on off switch.
Shouldn’t we have to update the fuse board/fuses or is this ok?

If your altering it, you should know what BS7671 requires. Perhaps you should say what you have done exactly?

If your altering it, you should know what BS7671 requires. Perhaps you should say what you have done exactly?
Sounds like new supplies to circuits so it must be altered.
Existing circuits re fed from a different, existing, CU.
Minor works.....one for each circuit, I wonder.:(

Last edited:
This will be something similar to Fischer heaters?

I'm surprised an employee of a company that's in the business of exchanging Storage heaters for high efficiency heaters is on a forum asking basic information like this.

Is the company NICEIC or similar registered, do you have a Q.S or other electrical installation Professional?
Who supervises the installations work?
Who decided on the method of installation?

and many more questions.

As stated you cannot interfere with DNO equipment it is illegal so no you cannot mess with the equipment! Besides which it can potentially be very dangerous at that end of the installation and around the cut-out. As to the wylex rewireable fuse bridges they are fine in the sense you cannot say they must be upgraded, but I might recommend some upgrading such as RCD.

Should the board be upgraded or not.
I just want someone to answer the question.
It’s not an easy question to answer.
If the supply was not altered, then no the board would not necessarily need upgrading.
Problem is, you are converting two separate installations into one.
That could be classed as a new installation
In which case the whole new installation might need to be upgraded.

You might do better contacting the IET technical help line: 01438 765599.

It’s not an easy question to answer.
If the supply was not altered, then no the board would not necessarily need upgrading.
Problem is, you are converting two separate installations into one.
That could be classed as a new installation
In which case the whole new installation might need to be upgraded.

You might do better contacting the IET technical help line: 01438 765599.

The load is being changed. Not the supply.
Thanks.

The load is being changed. Not the supply.
Thanks.
I thought you said you were disconnecting the supply from one meter and swapping it to another.

“The board is powered from the live coming out of the radio teleswitch meter so to make the board live 24 hours we remove this cable and put it into a Henley block which has permanent live feed.“

Reply to Meters and boards Question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock