Discuss Metrel 16th edition test meters. can I still use these. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Micky d

Hi, I am sitting my 2391 later this year and have been given a set of Metrel testers which were last calibrated in 2010 expiring in early 2011. These are MI 2121/ 2122/ and 2123 ( continuity/ir/rcd with ramp test facility and z loop tester with PSC) These are stated as 16th edition. they appear to be in full working order but before I pay to get them calibrated, does anyone know if I am allowed to test with these as they are not 17th edition.

they are my first test meters and if i could still use them, it would get me by until i could afford to buy new ones.

Also, if they are still usable, could anyone suggest the cheapest way to get them calibrated.

Thanks guys:dizzy2:

So long as they carry out all the tests required in the 17th edition then yes they will be fine.

Calibration, you could call round your local wholesalers to see if they are having a calibration day, as these are sometimes cheaper than sending them away.

Hi Micky, Your Metrel testers are suitable for the current testing requirements and just need calibrating. The only downside is the multiple unit cost of calibration works out more expensive than an equivalent multi-function tester, which is always at bit galling.

Your instruments are fine for the current testing rules. The problems arise when the instrument that you are using doesn't fulfill the physics of what you are attempting to test.

I still have my old 15th Robin 3111V Continuity/IR tester. I thought it would be of interest to have it calibrated against its product standard and it passed.

However, because it only generates 0.6V DC on its continuity range it is unable to give reliable results due to barrier potentials set up by the various connections within any given circuit.

The modern continuity / low reading Ohmmeters need to generate something more, that is above 4V. So cannot be used under the up to date amendments

Reply to Metrel 16th edition test meters. can I still use these. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net