Discuss metrel euro test battery problem? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
has any one had any problems with their metrel test instruments eating batteries?
my euro test only lasts five mins when fully charged and then tells me it needs recharging. has anyone else experienced any battery charge problems and if so is there a fix?

Ive got standard batteries in mine and easily get 6months 'usage dependant', check the voltage of fully charged battery when disconnected then fit and see if you get a large voltage drop, it could be possible you have a drain on them from a fault within the tester, also make sure the auto switch off is working correctly and your batteries aren't draining on the display, your batteries are only really used for the display and Megger and Ohms reading which is a 2sec operation, all other options use the power supply your plugged into.

A calibration might find something?

we have three euro testers at my place of work and all three have been back to metrel for the same problem. all they did was send them back with an extra set of batteries. when I did my 2391 a couple of months ago the college lecturer said he has had nothing but trouble with guys having to charge their metrel testers up all the time aand advised me to bring a different tester for my exam. so I wondering if it's a common fault with the new style test units by metrel

Sounds like you have more info regarding this than we do, mine is an older model takes standard batteries, as the college has experience with students with these units i assume what is said is correct and there is a problem with them.

just wondered if it was a known problem out there and if any one had managed to resolve it. like you mentioned our older metrel units just had standard d type batteries in them and lasted well over six months. but the newer models have six rechargeable AA batteries in them and come with a mains charger you just plug in and charge like you would a mobile phone, but preform a few insulation tests and such and they are flat. Useless !!

All I can add is that I find the batteries last about 12 -15 months, and when I'm doing a board change or similar I ensure its charged fully the night before.

If I remember correctly the my Metrel came with 200maH batteries.

It sounds very much like they are supplying standard duty rechargeable but the nature of the Megger test has a large demand for a short duration and it sounds like the batteries are not up to this and are getting cell damage, a rechargable battery that can deliver high output in short burst would be required.... sounds like the manufacturers aint done their homework or they have been ripped of with the quality of the batteries themselves.

Reply to metrel euro test battery problem? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock