Discuss Metrel MI3100 or Fluke 1651B in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Lazlo

Use Metrel at college they seem fine, but quite like build quality of Fluke gear. Can't use the testmeter comparison chart as they don't seem to do Fluke but wondered what features I'd be losing in buying one over the other?? Advice would be great.

Thanks

The Metrel has more features like Phase Rotation. So if you work on 3 phase equipment then the Fluke 1651 won't cut it.

I have a MI3000 and a 1653B. The Metrel is just as good imho, but the Fluke is also bulletproof so to speak.
Both are good peices of equipment.

Hi, both units offer great value for money and the Metrel MI3100 will offer the following test features over the Fluke 1651B:

1) Automatic RCD Test
2) Phase Rotation Test
3) Remote tip commander probe (this probe will allow you to conduct a continuity and insulation resistance test by pressing a button the test probe)

As Timbo mentioned, the Fluke wouldn't be of any use if you are planning to work on a three phase installation.

It would be an ideal tester for a domestic electrician, however you might find the lack of automatic RCD testing a bit of a pain on the legs if you're having to run up and down stairs to reset an RCD after each test!

I've only ever used a fluke once, can't say I liked it, bought the metrel as a back up kit as it was on offer and I have to say its a good piece of kit. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

I've used Metrel (I own an MI3000) and Megger, but not Fluke.

I don't understand the negative attitude towards Metrel kit. To be honest, I think a lot of it comes down to "tester snobbery"... My favourite comparison is with cars. Some people insist on a BMW or Mercedes and "hate" anything else without ever trying it. If they did they'd find that the Ford Fiesta and Fiat 500 are actually pretty damn good cars! I aspire to one day own a BMW M5, but in the meantime I can't afford it and my Vauxhall Vectra gets me from A to B very comfortably!

As I said, I've not used Fluke, but by the sounds of things, the Metrel is much better equipped. In my opinion it beats the mighty Meggers in certain aspects (RCD autotest in particular, the display is much easier to read)

Cbw and ExArmy, why do you dislike Metrel?

Cbw and ExArmy, why do you dislike Metrel?

I owned a metrel for a year, i found that more often than not if you clip the leads on to do a resistance test and hold the tester steady whilst pressing test, the readings would be all over the spot! also earth fault loop test would be a little on the low side compared to a fluke which i compared it to back to back a few times. and the readings were just too low
and, the metrel i had was very hard to use (MI3125), there was no strap to hang round your neck, and you had to press the test button once you had skillfully manouvered 3 probes onto the right terminals using one hand.
and, doing Zs tests on a lighting circuit you had to press test using an insulated screwdriver or else it would flash up "phase voltage on PE terminal!" and not perform a test
and the general layout was just all wrong, too many buttons meant it was slow to go between 250-500v on IR tests, and to flick between each setting etc. the only good thing i have to say about it is the display is able to show alot of lines of text, so you could have all the RCD readings on one page. although it isnt that hard to press a button to flick between them once the test has finished, and IIRC the metrel used to test at half the rated tripping current at both 0 and 180, and used to do a ramp test at 0 and 180 as part of the auto test, which meant it was alot slower at testing and RCD

The best advice anybody can give you, is to try before you buy, like all tools it is a matter of personal taste, what is right for you may well not suit me. This is where colleges and mates in the trade can help by letting you trial their kit. This is probably more important than with any other tool because it's all to easy to make a very expensive mistake.

Reply to Metrel MI3100 or Fluke 1651B in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net