Discuss Metrel or Megger in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MKS

Wow my first post... I usually come in from work, load up my pc and read through the very interesting post. Sometimes with a wry smile, something with a shock of horror, like 'are you really asking that ?' kind of thing...

Quick intro, I'm Mark from Nottinghamshire, via Australia, moved back home to Nottingham after ten years in Oz dragging my wife back with me, she loves the Englishness, but hates the weather lol.. :)

I'm not one to get involved with the banter as much as I enjoy, I just usually sit back and enjoy the threads, it is by far the best forum around..

Ok, my question cos it is doing my head in really.. I am in two minds as to what to get, either the Metrel MI 3101 or the Megger 1773 (20 years ago, these things did not exist, but wow they are worth their weight) I've used the Megger before, MFT 1552, and enjoyed its ease of use. The metrel seems like a nice piece of kit and some of it's feature are quite appealing. Don't get me wrong, the megger is great and easy, but I don't know, just fancy a change.

Take your time with the reply, it's my first post...lol :)

Have a great weekend :)

M

Megger I have the 1553 and its fine mind it hardly see,s the light of day because of the ÂŁ80 PIR guys but I still think you need one even for the time of day the only thing I dont like about it is the carry case and was in 2 minds to buy the Fluke carry case for ÂŁ20

I've got a Metrel Easitest, and find it dead easy to use.
Had a problem with continuity readings going all over the place, but that turned out to be a cable end breaking. I thought it would be a new set of leads, but luckily they can be dismantled and repaired, dead easy to cut back and solder back in place.
It's around 4 years old now, and still looks as good as new.
Alan.

Thanks everyone for your replies.. Much appreciated...If it ain't broke why fix it, suffice to say, Megger it is :)

Tester xbox bag 003.jpgTester xbox bag 002.jpgTester xbox bag 001.jpgTester xbox bag 005.jpgTester xbox bag 006.jpgTester xbox bag 004.jpg I would also say megger and see if you can get an XBOX bag for the old XBOX, as it fits tester, wander, lead and addapters for lighting and socket and see , test leads and other bits and a small amount of paper work, spare batts fluke 1000 it also has side parts for voltage stick small drivers and other bits.

i have the 3101 and its the dogs :D but with testers its each to their own and i dont reckon you will go wrong with either :D

Megger I have the 1553 and its fine mind it hardly see,s the light of day because of the ÂŁ80 PIR guys but I still think you need one even for the time of day the only thing I dont like about it is the carry case and was in 2 minds to buy the Fluke carry case for ÂŁ20

Its works well does that combo.

Usually take in my Fluke case and wait till someone asks how do I find the Fluke and i crack open me case and reveal the Megger!

Naughty but nice!

i can't really reccomend metrels. i got a 3125 combo lite for my birthday, it's ok but continuity readings jump about a bit sometimes, Zs is always on the low side too.
tested back to back with a fluke today and the fluke was always within .1 when re-tested, but my metrel was all over the place.
I use other metrels at college too sometimes, and it's the same story there.
the handiest thing about it is the large screen and the way the test results are displayed after an RCD auto test. thats it

the wife got me the Stanley tecknitions case thinggy 2 sided affair( Stanley FatMax Tool Organizer Bag : Tooled-Up.com ÂŁ10 at big shed as strap was missing Had a spare one from old tote ) plenty room for my megger leads ect a gouple of socket leads Klik electrak adaptors in one side ( leads ect in a boot bat ÂŁ2/50 sports direct) other side is my testing drivers pliers ect along with mini laptop looks better walking in with 1 bag rather than 3 bags and ita a lot easier to carry

i have the 3101 and its the dogs :D but with testers its each to their own and i dont reckon you will go wrong with either :D

Hi Phil
I have the metrel mi3100 eurotest and im thinking of upgrading to the Metrel MI 3101 Pro Set KIT (EurotestAT) with easi swt and software,Please can you tell me if its worth the extra bucks for the auto sequence testing and qwerty keyboard input.
regards
Paul

I use a 3125 lite like ex army.find ze readings to be a bit low compared to my trust megger lcb2000.checked them out on the checkbox and both seem to be within limits tho.checked back to back zs readings and they were pretty close to each other
Not bad for the money.megger leads are a bit better I think but if your megger meter require repairs by megger expect a long turnaround time
Metrels customer service is v good

Hi Phil
I have the metrel mi3100 eurotest and im thinking of upgrading to the Metrel MI 3101 Pro Set KIT (EurotestAT) with easi swt and software,Please can you tell me if its worth the extra bucks for the auto sequence testing and qwerty keyboard input.
regards
Paul

tbh paul i don`t really use the input that much but i will say the adaptor for taking the ring final tests is fantastic, also the tester itself after playing around with it is very user friendly and i would not be without it. the guys at metrel are fantastic when anything goes wrong with the units although touch wood i have not had an issue with mine. a mate of mine whos metrel was well out of g/tee had it repaired free of charge by them. i got mine just over twelve months ago i think and i paid next to nothing for it brand new on the bay compared to the new price. ÂŁ500 i think. also what i like with them is the battery charger in the meter saves a fortune and if it runs out on site just pop in some aa`s.

My Metrel has been utter rubbish. I'm on my 3rd under the 3 year warranty, and guess what, this one has just failed its calibration too! It failed on the insulation resistance test.. I saw someone at the Harrogate trade show who put me onto the head of technical... Spoke to him and he said "do you keep it in the van?" "Yes" I replied. "Ahh, our testers don't like the cold, throughs them way out" was his reply! "So I'm supposed to take November through to April off then am I" I told the technical man.. He had no reply to this!

My advise, pay a little more and stick to Megger.

Reply to Metrel or Megger in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net