Discuss Metrel update gone wrong?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
Anyone had any issues updating a metrel MFT??

I've tried updating the firmware and now it's not doing anything. I just get a blank screen. In fact I left it a few hours turned it on and it beeped loud and then all the relays/contacts started going crazy and screen flashing.

Help needed :-/

I did that many years ago! You have 'bricked' it, normally because you have used an incorrect R32 to usb lead, I don't think the connections are the same on them all. Call Metrel UK and they will reinstall the firmware for you, you will have to pay to get it to them and the return postage although I had mine calibrated at the same time and they were quite reasonable. In short there is nothing you can now do.

If that's true then I think that's very dissapointing. It only got calibrated 2 weeks ago which cost me £55.

Also, if this is a possible outcome why is it bit documented prior to updating the firmware. Just a simple (please ensure you use this specific lead etc etc)

Yesterday I had a perfectly good meter and now I have a meter that needs sending away and will cost me more money that I don't have and all because I wanted to update the firmware from metrels website.

I know it's not the end if the world but I'm pretty upset about it. Last thing I need right now.

If that's true then I think that's very dissapointing. It only got calibrated 2 weeks ago which cost me £55.

Also, if this is a possible outcome why is it bit documented prior to updating the firmware. Just a simple (please ensure you use this specific lead etc etc)

Yesterday I had a perfectly good meter and now I have a meter that needs sending away and will cost me more money that I don't have and all because I wanted to update the firmware from metrels website.

I know it's not the end if the world but I'm pretty upset about it. Last thing I need right now.

Ever heard the phrase don't shoot the messenger!

It is true, not all usb to R32 are the same, I think they will repair it free of charge but you will have to pay the postage or take it to them.

Well I didn't know that. I just came across the fact there was an update available for the 17th edition update. I just thought it would be a good idea to keep the firmware upto date.

I had no idea this would happen or that both calibration and firmware could be updated at the same time

Surely if you have updated it with a Metrel update from Metrel's website using a Metrel cable then they should fix it FOC for you ?

That's what I'd be asking for anyway.

Welcome to the wonderful world of inbuilt obsolescence...

How do you think some of the older members feel?

One minute,we had cars that lasted 15 years,jobs for life and equipment that would do the same...

Now it's a brave new world,with dazzling IT gear,we are told we have to have,that jacks every 10 hours,and is worthless the year after.

I have a Mk8 you can borrow...:)

Last edited:
What was different about the other PC? (Different Operating System, Serial / USB Port etc.)
It would be good to know.... if I ever have to update mine (I had the Amendment 3 update completed with the last calibration)

What was different about the other PC? (Different Operating System, Serial / USB Port etc.)
It would be good to know.... if I ever have to update mine (I had the Amendment 3 update completed with the last calibration)

I don't know. On the original pc I had to change the port to port 3 because it was listed as port 5 and there isn't a port 5 on the update programmer. The laptop itself is pretty old so who knows.

Other (newer) laptop had it as port 2 which was fine. Worked great

Reply to Metrel update gone wrong?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net