Discuss MFT for a DIYer? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Steve T

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi,
I've decided a decent test meter would be useful for me but given that I wouldn't be using it more than a couple of times a year I don't really want to buy a new one for £400+, so had a look on ebay and there's quite a few for around £100 which seems much more sensible for the amount of use I'll need. I have a few in mind which I'll post in the links below, if anyone would be kind enough to have a look at them and give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated!

Those are all metrel ones, if they don't look decent I'm happy to wait until something better comes up.

Also none of them have an up to date calibration certificate so that would mean I'd need to get it calibrated, what sort of cost would I be looking at? I'm based in Newcastle-upon-Tyne so if anyone knows good calibration companies around here that would would be great!

I should point out I'm only planning on using it in my own home, and just want to be able to test any work I do (all fairly minor stuff that wouldn't require notification or anything). Also I'm just interested and want to learn about proper testing. (Can you tell I'm bored in lockdown lol).
Thanks for any replies!

What ever you buy make sure you buy it with a Credit Card not PayPal, they just closed a resolution on my account even though I did not receive the item, the seller some how managed to get a Royal Mail tracking that said I had received even though I had not, no recourse to PayPal, but you could get reimbursed by your Credit Card.

What ever you buy make sure you buy it with a Credit Card not PayPal, they just closed a resolution on my account even though I did not receive the item, the seller some how managed to get a Royal Mail tracking that said I had received even though I had not, no recourse to PayPal, but you could get reimbursed by your Credit Card.
I will do, I also try to buy from sellers with good reviews.

That Metrel Mi3000 is great piece of equipment but yellow ones were the oldest, try look for blue ones they were much newer version and grey are the latest.

Calibration as above expect around £50-£60 incl postage.

Now in terms of paying by paypal or credit card its not as easy as Mike said. Most ebay sellers take paypal payments only and wont take direct payment from your credit card. You can use credit card through paypal but then path is broken and Section 75 wont apply as you used agent and did not pay directly to supplier so credit card company will reject your claim. Also worth to note that payment needs to be at least £100 to qualify.
Try to agree with the seller that tester will be subject to calibration and if it fail seller will give you full refund.

To test any work I do. For instance I was planning on adding a couple of double sockets in a bedroom by extending the ring which is something I would only do if I could test it as its an alteration to a circuit. And for other small things
Not planning to rewire a house or change a consumer unit or anything like that lol

To test any work I do. For instance I was planning on adding a couple of double sockets in a bedroom by extending the ring which is something I would only do if I could test it as its an alteration to a circuit. And for other small things
if you have not used any muilt testers before how the hell do you need one ,and you will either injury your self or other people .

if you have not used any muilt testers before how the hell do you need one ,and you will either injury your self or other people .
What makes you think that, surely the point of testing is to make sure the circuit is safe so will not injure anyone. There's lots of instructional stuff on how to use one correctly, and its something I'm keen to learn for my own interest

What makes you think that, surely the point of testing is to make sure the circuit is safe so will not injure anyone. There's lots of instructional stuff on how to use one correctly, and its something I'm keen to learn for my own interest
do you know about ohms or Kirchhoff's law & the electricity work act & heath and safety and your house liability insurance .

do you know about ohms or Kirchhoff's law & the electricity work act & heath and safety and your house liability insurance .
The first two, yes to some extent and I'm keen on learning about that sort of thing.
I am aware of the electricity work act and health and safety stuff. As for insurance as far as I'm aware diyers are allowed to do some electrical jobs in their own homes.

The first two, yes to some extent and I'm keen on learning about that sort of thing.
It is good that you wont to do things properly and realise that being able to test your work before and after energising is part of that. However, from the above comments the folk here are a bit concerned that learning via YouTube with a MFT is potentially a very dangerous hobby.

Many of the MTF measurements are "live" tests with things energised, they are obviously dangerous. However, the "dead" testing before that can be far more dangerous if the equipment is if fact live and you did not know that.

So the first step you ought to learn is the safe isolation process, and that means looking for a decent voltage tester and (ideally) a proving unit first. Never rely on a mlutimeter or MFT to prove dead, there are so many ways that can go wrong.

Reply to MFT for a DIYer? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net