Discuss MFT what to be weary of? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

axel132132

Hi all

Im looking at getting a new second hand (New to me but second hand) MFT, the Megger 1552.. Ive found a few on Gumtree for around 250 but they need calibrating are these going to be ok if i just add say 35 quid in my price i want to spend for calibration or is there something else i should be looking out for?

Just asking as people have said DONT buy second hand just get NEW - But new are like £600 and i can only afford £200-300

Cheers

Well, there is always a risk involved, something might be wrong with it which you won't notice initially. If it comes from a reliabe source OK if not I wouldn't waste £200.-

Na buy one on your card £100 a month , you wont notice it.

Do what I did and buy a Metrel MI3000...

Not got the prestige of a Megger but it's a decent, easy to use meter (personally I find it easier than the Megger) and it's about £350 new online (forum sponsors Test Meters, Electrical Testing Equipment & Measurement Instruments)

Asides from the colour scheme (it's bright blue and yellow and looks like a Fisher Price toy!) it's a great bit of kit and I've got no plans to replace it...

Oh and I almost forgot...

Megger leads tend to be a bit crap (frustrating when the unit is so expensive) so I'd be inclined to budget for a replacement set.

If I was sarcastic... MFT what to be weary of... I could say I'm tired of threads requesting info about MFTs.:ciappa:

I think you meant MFT what to be wary of... in that case:
If buying second hand, take a check-box with you and test the MFT before purchase, then you can be fairly confident your not buying a pile of Wombat poo, and the MFT should then only need calibrating. The weakest area of the Megger MFT15xx series is the special Megger plug connecting to the MFT on the BS 1363 lead, this suffers from bent pins and broken connections due to stress at the point where the cable enters the connector.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do what I did and buy a Metrel MI3000...

Not got the prestige of a Megger but it's a decent, easy to use meter (personally I find it easier than the Megger) and it's about £350 new online (forum sponsors Test Meters, Electrical Testing Equipment & Measurement Instruments)

Asides from the colour scheme (it's bright blue and yellow and looks like a Fisher Price toy!) it's a great bit of kit and I've got no plans to replace it...

This is very good advice because you get a brand new warranty unit with a calibration certificate. Try not to get brainwashed with the Megger/Fluke urban myth as they no longer live up to their reputation a case in point would be Fluke went through a spell where they had problems with their 1600 series and then Megger did the same with 1700. So get the Metral and when you start earning more then upgrade but to be honest if it does the job its good to go.

One last thing it does not matter what tester you have its how you look after it so make sure you have a good carry case that can hold the bits and bobs I have a 1553 should have got a 1552 as I have never used the bluetooth function plus I keep it in a Fluke carry case that cost £28 because the Megger one is pants

axel, you have a swanky website promising all the incredible things you are capable of, along with a large new contract you are pricing up for, but you still need to get part P registered AND buy test equipment?
You make me smile, I'll give you that much :)

=] Yah plan was, get website sorted.. Buy MFT.. Buy NICEIC.....

BUT reality hit and reality was

Get website sorted.. CASH RUN LOW OMG.. Got job working self employed for GF sisters BF.. Cash is growing buy MFT, quote big job buy NICEIC ;D!

I have my MFT 1552 available. Calibrated in May and rarely used - still has films on it. I have had it from new, used it less than 10 times as I now have access to many MFT's at work. It's all in there but I couldn't ask for less than £300 plus delivery cost as my wife bought it for me and she will want some monies back.

that's a well good price there , widdler. if i wanted one, i'd bite your hand off.

As a couple of others have said I like the Metrel MI3000, although I am pretty new to electrics so have little experience of others. All I can say is that I find it easy to use, the functions are easy to understand and it does all the required tests. Perhaps the only thing I might have done differently is buy the slightly newer model (think its the 3100?) as it includes something called a tip commander that lets you press a button on the probe to execute function rather than have to find a third hand to reach the tester.

However, I notice the post above by Widdler and that does seem like a pretty good price for his Megger. Especially if you could get him to include postage for £300, worth asking :smilewinkgrin:

Try your local calibration companies or whoever ur wholesaler use, as they tend to acquire mft's from local sparks that drop out of the game or go bust.....I got mine from one and it was only 4 or 5 months old, so was still under manufacturers warranty and he calibrated it aswel....megger 1552 for £300 not bad is it? I put my order in for one of those entry level metrel mft's on that day online, and had to cancel, but saved me couple of hundred and got me what I wanted the megger anyway so I was happy.

when i bought my 1552 a few months ago I made sure I paid with paypal and I got it sent straight to JPS calibration services who calibrated it and sent it to me. correct me if i'm wrong but i don't think you can get scammed that way, for one a dodgy seller would probably not want to send to a calibration centre, if they did it would arrive faulty and you would have proof so you just get your money back on paypal.

when i bought my 1552 a few months ago I made sure I paid with paypal and I got it sent straight to JPS calibration services who calibrated it and sent it to me. correct me if i'm wrong but i don't think you can get scammed that way, for one a dodgy seller would probably not want to send to a calibration centre, if they did it would arrive faulty and you would have proof so you just get your money back on paypal.

Sounds like a good system.

Reply to MFT what to be weary of? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock