Discuss MI single conductor termination in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Big enough joint box! Self amalgamating tape instead of pots, looks rough but obviously how it's done in Canada or US, like the brass plate though.

A bit strange, all round. I think it would be of more use to show termination into a switch of some sort rather than through crimping. One BIG jointing box.

Interesting to use a brass plate as protection from eddy current heating effects, if that's what it is (?). It's my understanding the eddy currents would flow in any conductive material in that situation, so I don't know how this brass plate is better ? (Agree any heating effect small at low currents :) )

Brass plate is non ferrous so doesn't create eddy currents. The hole they cut in the steel enclosure for it though is rough as a badgers arse, al they had to do was cut/punch 3 holes a bit larger than the brass holes then cut out the triangle between them with a jigsaw, then remove burrs. They delete any comments you make about their videos. There is one where they show how to strip screened twisted pair MI, they demonstrate fitting the pot by sliding it on the conductors upside down.

To be honest, eddy currents don’t really cause a problem below 200A, even in very thin gauge steel.
Eddy currents will not be present in the brass, as it’s non-ferrous.
Whilst there may be some present in the surrounding steel, as all 3 conductors pass through the same hole in the steel, there will be no heating.

Surprising that they crimped inside such a large enclosure, might just as well used terminal blocks.

Ha ha, yes. I'd forgotten the magnetic permeability is much higher in iron than copper (or brass), why we use iron in transformer cores :rolleyes:

Reply to MI single conductor termination in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net