Discuss MICC/PYRO advice please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Been to a quote for a job this morning. Customer has just bought the house and wanted me to quote to replace/move an old fuse board as there were 2 in the house.

On looking at the job it appears that the old unit in the kitchen is being fed from the newer unit under the stairs in MICC/Pyro, the install date on the newer board is 2011 so don't know why the original spark did not just replace it at the time.

Told the customer I will need to do a full eicr to see what needs doing in the rest of the property but the old board will need removing (which he understands) and I would need to trace the circuits to see how I can best get them back to the main board.
As there is no labelling on either board I have suggested he plays flick the switch and makes a list of which mcb switches what off to save a bit of time when I return.

I have never had the ‘pleasure’ of working with micc as I only do domestic work so my question is do I need to take any precautions when I rip it all out?

MICC/PYRO advice please 20190615_100312 - EletriciansForums.net

MICC/PYRO advice please 20190615_100202 - EletriciansForums.net

considered it a sub board and you going to up grade it to a metal board to 18th ,you need to find what I is it feeding .and of course is the sub tails to it .
you could use the existing micc ,has long has all test carried out .
just to add looking at the main board some of the mcbs are not marked up .

Last edited:
The outer dome cap is sealing the cable to the gland body. Below it is an olive which compresses to the cable sheath when the dome cap is tightened. Releasing this should free the cable from the gland body, this is not an ideal thing to do once the olive is bedded to the sheath and body but needs must if you are not replacing the gland. You should then be able to free the gland without twisting the cable which you need to avoid at all costs. Some have earth tail pots fitted to the cable for earthing purposes if not I would probably fit an earthing nut, it looks metric from the dome cap which I can see a 2 written on it.
The dome cap will denote the cable size, 2H 2.5 means heavy duty two core, 2.5mm. 2L 2.5 means light duty two core, 2.5mm.

if you are ripping out the micc then no precautions necessary

if you are going to re-use the micc feed then don't cut the gland off otherwise you will be in a right old pickle

Its Metric 2L2.5 and would be no problem to re-gland.

Edit; although it has no earth tail. i'd be interested like 123 has said how they have terminated it into the plastic CU.

I have never had the ‘pleasure’ of working with micc

Not sure why the quotes. It's about the only cable I enjoy installing these days.

But wait, that copper covered stuff at the right hand end of the new board isn't MICC. Or if it is, it's gas MICC.

if only we could see a picture with the lid shut we could inspect the gland

rarely see orange micc in houses these days , see a bit of bare micc on my travels but rarely orange

T'other end is plastic though, and could be amusing. But if it's being axed, or even hammered, not terribly important.

I think the Op needs to come back and confirm the MICC is being removed and the circuits from the sub board are being extended to reach the main one.

No precautions except don’t snort the white powder

a good spark with years working on stuff have no problems.
there's a lot young sparks out there have never worked on it ,alone tie thier boot laces .

You couldn’t pass 2360 until you had successfully stripped and made off 2 mic cables

Now they don’t even have to do that anymore

Reply to MICC/PYRO advice please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock