Discuss Micc terminating in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

cliffed

-
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Just done several micc terminations,adding power to existing install.
Everything was going really well,did all the necessary tests,luckily for me,just a couple left to do,for some reason,did not test between conductors,on testing for Live,I again tested & found dead short between conductors,earth readings ok,obviously resealed & everything tested ok.So glad tested again,don’t know how I missed the test,it would of been helluva bang.
Anyone had similar mis haps nearly

Not recently, but yes I always test every permutation after each run is potted. We had a bad experience years ago where many seals from one batch drew up a nasty burr from the end of the sheath that had to be pulled out of the pot with a pair of tweezers. I guess I missed one, which tested fine to the megger on completion, but must have moved a fraction and shorted out between then and when we livened it up a few days later. Steve was up a ladder with his head 12 inches from the lighting point when the pot blew. It may have been one of the few times I have actually heard Steve swear, although he was very cool and calm about it.

Next problem was that the cable, 4L1 IIRC, was run from a directional drilling in the floor up a stone column, where it was dressed into the ornate capital. It was now an inch short at the top, so the whole thing had to be undone, annealed with a blowlamp (the above-ground bit was bare, thankfully), the inch gained from under the floor and reworked into place before the new pot could be fitted. I checked that pot with a mangnifying glass before reaching for the compound!

Reply to Micc terminating in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, Was speaking to a family member recently, he told me his iron recently made a bang and flash as he plugged it in to the socket, and could...
Replies
Views
Hi all, After some options/opinions on fault finding N/E fault on ring final as fairly newish to being out alone. Customer wants to upgrade from...
Replies
Views
After completing a new RFC or modifying an existing one, I will always test continuity across all 3 conductors at the Consumer unit. I use the...
Replies
Views
Hello, Looking for some advice following a botched 3 phase upgrade today. Some background: Commercial unit originally fitted out (4 years ago)...
Replies
Views
NICEIC Certification Scheme Getting accredited to
Looking for some advice regarding joining a CPS. I've been in the electrical industry in various roles for nearly 10 years. I started my...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock