Discuss MICC Terminating in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

You could get away with just crimp tool!! I have many a time in an emergency.

You can get away without any of the tools if you really need to, and I have in an emergency.

Strip it with side cutters, ring it with cable shears, fit the pot with grips (carefully) , crimp it with two pairs of grips (very carefully).

There's other things I've done in a difficult situation too, but I don't think they'll go down very well on the forum.

You can get away without any of the tools if you really need to, and I have in an emergency.

Strip it with side cutters, ring it with cable shears, fit the pot with grips (carefully) , crimp it with two pairs of grips (very carefully).

There's other things I've done in a difficult situation too, but I don't think they'll go down very well on the forum.
Better still ring the MI with a plumber's pipe cutter carefully, as for the grips Mole type gips would be preferable

Are we the only country to have used micc in the past ?
Can’t say I have seen it anywhere else in Europe...
As I say , I have never installed it in a new install.
Just some dry minor repairs when it’s been damaged or needed moving...

The last bit of MI I messed up was when working in the dark, I some how mixed up the g/y sleeving with one of the black sleeves, no idea how, the conductors don't look or even feel the same. Conductor belled out ok for identifying, R1+R2 ok, insulation not so ok. Started panicking slightly as each cable tested fine after sealing. Proper embarrassing when I found it. :flushed:

I'm surprised more people don't have the tools! I have the full set of metric and most imperial tools as well. Don't get to use them as much as I'd like. :cry:

We did MICC forty years ago for domestic garages. I remember being shown how to do it. All the while I was at once marvelling at this new thing I was being shown and in disbelief as to it working. I just couldn't fathom how the wires would not short out. Of course we meggered it but still it quite impressed me. To answer your question @Pete999 this is something I only ever did on site in the real world never in college, not even a mention of it except for the fireproof bit about the really high temperatures it could withstand.

Are we the only country to have used micc in the past

It was first manufactured in France; we licensed it from the French company. However, the UK and USA have always been more into earthed metalclad construction while Europe tended to favour all-insulated materials, so it probably found a bigger market share here than there.

The biggest use I have seen was for fire resistant circuits, but it used to be the dog's proverbials for industrial system. Looked magnificent when polished up, but sometimes issues with volt drop as folk looked at the current limit (for a given CSA) and forgot that was down to high insulation temperature and not magic low resistance copper...

We used to do loads of boiler houses in the stuff in the 70's and 80's. A lot of changes were being made for energy saving purposes and the 'optimiser' controllers were the in thing. They were generally incorporated in panels of various sizes. A lot of local authority work in schools, libraries and a massive fire station...pumps, valves and stats all over the place and two underground trench/tunnels linking buildings.

On occasions, one fault with pyro was feeding 3 phase motors due to induction problems. Had to fit capacitors across the phases at the motor connections. On one job the wrong ones were supplied and four 3 cores blew, with the caps blown to bits.
Oh for an iphone for some job photos then.

Reply to MICC Terminating in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock