Discuss Minimum qualifications needed??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

RobRob

I appreciate that this question fills you all with horror but it is important in my position.
I run a bathroom installation company and need to know the MINIMUM qualifications needed for domestic installation.
Don't worry, I'm not putting a kid on his 1st day out of college in charge of all our electrical installations.
It's a legal matter I need to get right.
Facts only please, I know you will rightly want to tell me how much experience you recommend etc and I agree entirely. I just need to know this one point.
Thank you for your time and knowledge,
Rob.

I appreciate that this question fills you all with horror but it is important in my position.
I run a bathroom installation company and need to know the MINIMUM qualifications needed for domestic installation.
Don't worry, I'm not putting a kid on his 1st day out of college in charge of all our electrical installations.
Facts only please, I know you will rightly want to tell me how much experience you recommend etc and I agree entirely. I just need to know this one point.
Rob.
the minimum requirement is to be competent, pass a simple "look up the answers in a book" exam and shell out a scam ransom.

Bearing in mind what a chimp can buy in a shed.....

However, what is a minimum requirement and what is thought of as a reasonable qualification and experience level in the eyes of the law when the chimp kills someone may be two totally different things.

So, why ask the question? Sounds like something has gone wrong, about to go wrong or doing a damage limitation concept type thing in case it does go wrong? Sorry but I'm a cynical sod.

To answer the OP's question, I think that'll be the dreaded "Part P" registration to enable completion of work in a bathroom!

Many ways to get registered under "Part P", right from the experienced time-served electrican down to 'passing' one of the very short courses (commonly known as a Electrical Trainee).

Ultimately you have to satisfy one of the registering bodies (ELECSA, NAPIT etc ....) that you are 'competent' and there is plenty of info on their sites as to registration requirements. Probably your best place to look -- from the horses mouth so to speak!

To answer the OP's question, I think that'll be the dreaded "Part P" registration to enable completion of work in a bathroom!

Many ways to get registered under "Part P", right from the experienced time-served electrican down to 'passing' one of the very short courses (commonly known as a Electrical Trainee).

Ultimately you have to satisfy one of the registering bodies (ELECSA, NAPIT etc ....) that you are 'competent' and there is plenty of info on their sites as to registration requirements. Probably your best place to look -- from the horses mouth so to speak!
yep...but ultimately all roads lead to.....credit card details..

the MINIMUM qualifications needed for domestic installation.

There is no minimum qualification, you just have to deem yourself ( or be deemed in the case of an employee ) 'competent'
Of course if you do notifiable work you need to join a scam who will rigorously assess you (!) & make sure you have done the preposterously easy 17th exam.

Electrical work in bathrooms must be notified to LABC in accordance with part P of the building regulations.
This is usually via a "competent persons scheme" such as Elecsa or Napit, who should assess that an installer is suitable, which includes holding public liability insurance, the bare minimum of qualifications, owning the right books and equipment, and of course paying their subscription.
the JIB will tell you that for someone to be deemed competent to make final connections they must hold the grading 'electrician' or above, which requires an NVQ level 3.

If you want someone to do a good job then that's a different argument.

So yes, it's a bit of a grey area.

Electrical work in bathrooms must be notified to LABC in accordance with part P of the building regulations.
This is usually via a "competent persons scheme" such as Elecsa or Napit, who should assess that an installer is suitable, which includes holding public liability insurance, the bare minimum of qualifications, owning the right books and equipment, and of course paying their subscription.
the JIB will tell you that for someone to be deemed competent to make final connections they must hold the grading 'electrician' or above, which requires an NVQ level 3.

lol....yep..about rite Adam..

I'm not going to reply any further to this. The correct and sensible view point doesn't match the law until it all goes ---- up so whatever is said to this question can be taken out of context. Without knowing the reason behind the question, the OP could quite legitimately point at the posters here and say "Well they said it'd be alright for an untrained monkey to do it".

For that reason, I'm sitting on the fence.

Rob.
What's gone wrong?

Just wish 'NIC and the gang' would follow the same rules as the JIB.

Thanks for the sensible and honest answers to Robrob's question, I know this topic is invariably a contentious one. From a small business point of view though what choice is there but to go the least expensive route that's deemed legal? Unfortunately in this type of scenario anyone not going the PartP fasttrack electrician route isn't going to be competitive.

Rob.

Why are you asking? As you can see from the responses so far its a contencious subject you've raised.

To keep things simple from a bathroom installation point of view, and based on the fact that you are in Birmingham, I would say the minimum requirement is for somebody to be a member of a Part P self certification scheme. In this respect, if you contract them to do ALL of the electrical work you require as part of your business, then they and they alone need to be accountable for all the installation, testing and notification work.

You doing the work and getting a monkey in to do some tests is not in accordance with the current Part P regs.

This is something I do for a number of small local businesses, and often puts me in conflict with the business owner, who "sells" a new bathroom but overlooks the mandatory updates and requirements of work in bathrooms. Slowly but surely I'm educating them but its a long up hill struggle.

Hope this helps

Get in touch with your local MP's if you have issues about the law and how your industry is run. I can't help with that.
I don't think anyone's expecting you to change the law or how the industry is run; everyone who has posted an answer here has an idea of how the industry works and would be able to argue their corner in court.
The problem comes when people want a direct answer as to something like the bare minimum legally required to do electrical work in a bathroom in a house.
A change in the law to clarify who is qualified to do what would mainly benefit the customer.

I don't think anyone's expecting you to change the law or how the industry is run; everyone who has posted an answer here has an idea of how the industry works and would be able to argue their corner in court.
The problem comes when people want a direct answer as to something like the bare minimum legally required to do electrical work in a bathroom in a house.
A change in the law to clarify who is qualified to do what would mainly benefit the customer.

Prove competency via qualifications to the LABC and pay an extortionate fee per job.

This thread is getting a bit mixed up so I refer the OP back to my first post.

Reply to Minimum qualifications needed??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net