Discuss minimum sockets required in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've always read the minimum sockets in a bedroom of three or four sockets, dependant on size of room.

I only fit doubles.

My friend has just moved into a brand new home and they only have two doubles per room,

How do you lot define the regs? 4 sockets or 4 doubles?

House is only a week old and already has extension leads all over the place

table H7 in green osg, page 178.

The only regulation that I can find 'relating' to the above (but not answering it) is 553.1.7.

I don't think there are set regulations in England or wales for the amount of socket outlets although the OSG on page 192 (blue copy) gives suggestions. For a bedroom it could be anywhere from 2 -5 double sockets depending on the size of the bedroom.

In Scotland they seem to have a mandatory requirement to have 'enough' sockets and they recommend 4 for a 'habitable room' which would include a bedroom (these can be single or doubles).

Last edited:
As far as I'm aware, the Regs only recommends the minimum amount of sockets per room. You are supposed to design the installation taking into account any portable equipment expected to be used and the length of flex on the appliance.
So there's no regulation broken as such, it's just poorly designed.

...But to answer your question; the Regs recommendation does refer to double sockets.

I remember when I was involved in new houses the NHBC had a handbook (I think it was based upon the building regs) that gave the minimum number of sockets and a double counted as two sockets.

Cheap house cheap build it seems, in this day and age you always fit a double in a bedroom at least a double either side of the bed........

Over the years the main housebuilders cut back more and more on the spec once the detached garage was wired as standard then it was only on the larger more expensive houses and the 2/3 beds with detached garages you had to pay extra. Same with the sockets.

I was always told at college that the prevailing opinion was 4 doubles or 4 singles but you may as well fit 4 doubles because why would you bother fitting singles?

I doubt there are any regs that will have been broken here, but what the builders of big developments here do is give the purchaser a spec of some sort, and they have the option to add to it. Extra Sockets, Downlights etc etc, right through to upgrading the kitchen. @sparkless I'd be very surprised if your friend wasn't offered this, cause it's extra $$ for the builder.

cause it's extra $$ for the builder.

There’s your problem. American builder that wants paid in $’s

I don’t believe there is an actual reg, just good practice.
I have an 11 year old house in Scotland and there’s 3x doubles in each bedroom, whatever the size. Not in the most useful places I might add, so extras have been put in over the years.

As 123 says, some housebuilders fit the minimum sockets they can get away with, also minimum of other things such as phone or TV points.

Then you get the chance to add more, often at quite a price, if you are buying before the wiring is completed.

I've even found some new houses have wiring in place for things like additional phone points, kitchen cabinet lights, alarms when none of these are installed. The customer didn't buy the extras, so the wiring remains hidden in the walls.

Reply to minimum sockets required in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock