Discuss Minor work certs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mike Blair

Alright guys im starting my own work. what work comes in under minor work certs? does any work in a bathroom / kitchen have to be notified to building control or can some jobs be minor work certs

Certification and notification are 2 different things. The type of cert does not have a bearing on notification and vice versa.
The description of minor works is in the regs and notifiable work is detailed in part p. You'll need to be familiar with both.

ahh i see. what work can i do that do isn't notifiable for example a new socket . but would a new socket in a kitchen need to be notified

ahh i see. what work can i do that do isn't notifiable for example a new socket . but would a new socket in a kitchen need to be notified

Like I said, the scope of notifiable work is detailed in part P of the building regs. You need to be downloading this and have a good working knowledge of it if you are to be undertaking notifiable work.
Planning Portal - Approved Document P - Electrical safety - Dwellings

I could tell you, but you would be taking the word of someone on a forum who you have never met as an authority for legal requirements to do with your business.

Hi mike,
Definately worth doing domestic installer course. This will give you the know it all in regarding to part p , Notification and certification. City& guilds L1 to 3 does not cover it unfortunately. Neither does the 17th edition. Bit of a pain I know.

good luck

Last edited:
Hi mike,
Definately worth doing domestic installer course. This will give you the know it all in regarding to part p , Notification and certification. City& guilds L1 to 3 does not cover it unfortunately. Neither does the 17th edition. Bit of a pain I know.

good luck

I'll beg to differ here and say keep your money in your pocket.
All the building regulations approved documents are freely available at the link I posted. Why pay money for someone to read them to you ?
The notification process can be explained to you by any scheme you ask for information or on this forum with a quick search. And as a qualified electrician working for himself you should know all about the requirements for certification of work. If not, it's all in the regs there to be read.

i seen a company called " STROMA" then i can sign all my work off but first i need to get my testing and inspection NICEIC and napit are expensive compared to STROMA and they offer the same stuff just less known. For now i can only do minor work

i seen a company called " STROMA" then i can sign all my work off but first i need to get my testing and inspection NICEIC and napit are expensive compared to STROMA and they offer the same stuff just less known. For now i can only do minor work

What about minor work that's notifiable or non-minor work that's non notifiable ?

I assume you would need your testing 2394/5 to test your own work o.o i have emailed them just waiting for a reply / and all non notifiable work

Reply to Minor work certs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net