Discuss Minor work IR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mark.W

-
Reaction score
Chaps

I replaced a single socket for a double socket for a customer today, and whilst doing the IR tests noticed that the Line/Neutral reading was low.

The readings were:
L/N 0.95 Mohms
L/E 97.6 Mohms
N/E 87.4 Mohms

I checked and made sure that nothing was plugged in on the ring and noticed he had some smokes wired in. I told him I needed to disconnect them to do the test but he didn't want me to. So what do I do, how do I state this on the cert?

Thanks
Mark

Could be a neon it a switched spur.

Im hoping the smokes are not connected to the RFC?

Even so, why on earth would he not let you disconnect them?

What you need to do is basically, TELL him you have to, to carry out the testing, and then you will replace them.

Last edited by a moderator:
The other thing was, and I quote from another thread, there was an electric ignitor for the gas cooker, the wife was cooking and really yapping in my ear. What do you do? can I go back and do the test tomorrow when she is out?

If you want but it sound like a lot of running around for a simple socket.

You gotta be a little more persistent when it comes to testing.

Tell them you have to carry out all the relevant tests (which you do), before you can switch back on.

In these cases where people really dont want you to test out or disconnect things, isn't it ok to simply test L&N together to earth? Same way a PAT tester does.

Reply to Minor work IR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Seeking advice, we have been replacing extractor fans for a local council and was originally told no ‘like for like’ replacement works needs a...
Replies
Views
So was on a call out today and cooker circuit kept tripping the RCD. Disconnected at the board and at the cooker switch and IR’d the cable and...
Replies
Views
In my line of work it's very rare that I ever have to change a DB. I'm largely in maintenance; occasionally have to add new circuits etc. so in...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi there, I’m a new member to the forum and felt like I could do with some additional insight into a fault I came across on a call-out at the...
Replies
Views
So I’m an apprentice and I’m just trying to get a better understanding of the science behind this because the electricians who have said it have...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock