Discuss Minor Works Certificate – Details of Departures from BS7671? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

cookiemonster

I had my assessment for joining the competent persons scheme with NICEIC last week. I showed the inspector my first job – one a full rewire with accompanying brand new 17th edition board – passed with flying colours. I then showed the inspector my second site which was the addition on a single socket outlet to the ground floor ring main wired as a spur off an existing kitchen socket. So as an extension to a special location this is a notifyable minor works. So we walked around the kitchen and he examined my handiwork and he seemed impressed. we discussed the issues I had encountered along the way which included discovering that the ring was a broken ring when I tested the circuit and that I had pinpointed this to an outlet that presumably had fed an extractor fan above hob in years gone by. So in fitting and testing this circuit and fixing the broken ring circuit I had arguably made this installation safer. The inspector asked had the circuit passed all circuit tests and I said yes.

So then the inspector starts to examine the paperwork. We get to the box entitled “Details of Departures, if any, from BS 7671”. I here I had put “Two different wire colouring systems in use. Consumer unit pre-dates BS7671 – 17th Edition”. All apparently good so far; he reads on. Then in the Comments box I had put that I had advised the customer that the circuit should really be protected by an RCD. At this point the inspector looks up and asks “is there no RCD on this circuit then?” No as stated on the Details of Departures the consumer unit pre-dates BS7671 – 17th Edition and it doesn’t have an RCD fitted. In fact the consumer unit wasn’t even a split board with a single RCD on let alone split with 2 RCD’s on as per 17th edition. “oh dear” says inspector “that’s not good, not good at all”. It dawned on me that he was trying to tell me that due to the lack of an RCD I’d failed my assessment. Ouch.

The fact that I was going to have to find another £450 quid to be re-tested didn’t exactly endear me to the inspector but truth be told the inspector had been very helpful and friendly and had only highlighted my mistake, so really I’ve got no grounds to knock the bloke.

However, this does raise some issues. I asked the inspector what my options were to put this right. He said I could either fit an RCBO to that circuit – well this was an old Contactum board and the current RCBO’s are not compatible with this old board which is fitted with 60898 mcb’s because where they attached to the bus bar doesn’t line up with the old bus bar positioning. Or failing that I could take a feed of the existing B32 mcb out to a single way RCD protected consumer unit and fit this next to the existing consumer unit. In an ideal world I should update the consumer unit to a 17th edition one. In essence because I was adding a socket to an existing circuit the entire circuit had to bought upto current BS7671 standards e.g. must be 17th edition compliant.

Anyway what I am most curious about is what is the little box on the Minor Works Certificate entitled “Details of Departures, if any, from BS 7671” box there for if no departures are allowed? Or put another way why is a departure in the form of old wiring colours an allowed departure but the absence of an RCD isn’t? Where is the published list of allowable departures and not allowable departures in the 17th Edition? Surely the fact that the inspector seems to be suggesting that an RCD should be incorporated retrospectively whenever a socket outlet is added to an existing circuit on a non 17th edition board then this means that every time we encounter this situation then a consumer unit update is prescribed? In which case what is the point of the Minor Works Certificate for any minor job other than to an installation which already has a current 17th edition consumer unit. Is the Minor Works Certificate relevant to any work carried out to circuits connected to non 17th Edition boards?

This doesn’t seem to make sense to me. Surely you can have a socket outlet fitted to a circuit on a pre-17th edition without having to fit either an RCBO (if the board will accept one) or fit a single way RCD protected consumer unit just for that circuit or update to a 17th edition consumer unit.

In the real world a customer phones me up to ask me to fit an single additional socket outlet to an existing circuit. I arrive and discover that they don’t have a 17th edition board. In fact they don’t even have a split board so it’s not possible to add an RCD to cover all circuits as it not allowed under 17th edition for failure of any one circuit to affect all other circuits. Adding a socket means in most scenarios that a consumer unit change is required. The customer might conclude that I may just be a cowboy builder who is trying to sell him a consumer unit he doesn’t need and tell me to get on my bike. I walk away and he gets to live with his non-RCD protected circuit for a few more years or worse still has a bash at doing the work himself ?

Also it seems a bit strange that as long as I make sure the circuit I work on is complaint (by just fitting an RCBO or single way consumer unit to that circuit only) then I could walk away from the job in the knowledge that the upstairs ring main was non’RCD protected and therefore non compliant and therefore deemed unsafe.

In the instance of my socket outlet circuit with no RCD protection this circuit had passed all other tests obviously including the all-important IR and Zs tests.

Have I got this wrong? I’d be really interested to hear other folks thoughts on this one if you can help. Many thanks,

You are a very lucky lad to have a guy pass you on this. Reg 411.3.3 tells you that sockets not under the supervision of a skilled or instructed persons and is under 20amp have to have additional protection of an RCD. So that single spured socket you fitted had to have RCD protection, A lot of sparks fit a RCD FCU and then the socket to comply.

In the 1st amendment to the regs there are proposals that on a MEIWC the use of RCD can be omitted when the designer deems it is not neccessary to fit one, but that is in the future, if it is included, which it still may not.

You have to remember that the existing installation is not retroactive, but any work you do should conform to the BS 7671-2008, that extra socket therefore had to be RCD protected as it stands today

I take your point regarding the upstairs ring being non compliant but on a PIR that would really only warrant a code 4 if you go by ESC guidelines.

Like Malcolm says, with the exception of earthing & bonding, it's YOUR work that must be compliant to the latest edition of BS 7671.

Can you use an RCD spur unit to feed your extra socket? Probably the cheaper and easier option.

If you are fitting a socket to a non rcd protected ring main, and you put a rcd protected fcu in to protect it, Surely thats no longer a minor works, as by putting in rcd protection in means that that the means of protection has changed from what is already there. So that makes it a notifiable job? together with the implications towards upgrading the earths to latest specs??

this is unfortunately what we are up against. The customers do not realise that when all they want is an extra socket with no rcd protection. and u quote lets say £200 plus due to bonding etc to comply, they automatically think that u are ripping them off! We do have to comply to bs 7671 and this sometimes loses us work, but doing it right is what we all face.
It is a difficult bit of red tape which frustrates everybody!
good luck with ur future sparking by the way!

Makes you wonder doesn't it, how did we all ever survive without all these RCDs on virtually very circuit these days.

A good number of us should be dead, if you listen to all these Reg's bible bashers...haha!!!

This is not a new problem just noticed more because of the need for RCDs. Every time the regs change and wiring carried out on a previous regs wiring, if you adapt it as you have you need to bring your work upto current standards. Something depending upon the view of inspector you may be ask to bring that DB up to standard.

If you wire your circuit back to its own Consumer Unit you can fit your RCBO and claim your install is seperate to existing but you may need to bring earthing up to date.

Bit of a pain and not want somebody doing it as a government job would done, but the NICEIC logo comes at a cost

If you were able to change your 60898 to an rcbo at this job would you then have to change your mwc to an eic or stick with the mwc?

If you were able to change your 60898 to an rcbo at this job would you then have to change your mwc to an eic or stick with the mwc?

Technically an EIC as the characteristics of the whole circuit have been altered.

I'd argue against an EIC for an rcd spur feeding the additional wiring.

There's no real argument when it comes to RCD protection on socket outlets in domestic premises imo. Even under the 16th, any socket with potential out door use would of needed RCD protection, so that's a major non compliance to the NICEIC on an assessment.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of points.
Departures are not actually defects in the existing installation, they are intended departures by the designer, and must offer the same degree of safety as would be obtained by compliance with the Regulations.
With the requirement to RCD protect the socket-outlets, you could have installed RCD socket-outlets, or as has been suggested an RCD FCU. This would not have altered the CPD characteristics.
As for the existing bonding, the requirement used to be that the earthing and bonding arrangements had to be adequate. Now they only have to be adequate for the safety measure applied for the addition or alteration. Adequate doesn't necessarily mean compliance with current Regulations.

As spinlondon has said Departures are not just non-compliances but the use of say new innovations which had not been considered when the Regulations were published but which must afford an equivalent degree of safety as would compliance with the Regulations.

Even though you are only doing a 'minor works' job, that circuit you worked upon must be fully compliant with the 17th edition. (1st amendment after 1st Jan 2012). According to Regulation 120.3 of BS7671 'The resulting degree of safety of the installation shall be not less than that obtained by compliance with the Regulations'. By not fitting an RCD to the circuit, the circuit is less safe than full compliance with the Regulations (ie. fitting an RCD). Departures like use of old colours does not affect the safety of the circuit. To pass that minor works assessment, I believe you should have fitted an RCD protected socket outlet to every socket on that circuit but at almost £30 per socket it would work out quite expensive for the customer. Sounds crazy, but the regulations are regulations and non-compliance with the regulations means non compliance with the EWR 1989 which is statutory.

An interesting thread and as usual its obvious that we sparkies don't have a consistent view on the regs.

How for gods sake do the people who write the regs expect Joe Public to understand them if they make NO attempt to market and advertise these MOST COMMON situations. Its left to us to try and get things done to the regs and then the bloke down the pub comes and does what the client wants ignoring the regs all together.

Rant over.

Even though you are only doing a 'minor works' job, that circuit you worked upon must be fully compliant with the 17th edition. (1st amendment after 1st Jan 2012). According to Regulation 120.3 of BS7671 'The resulting degree of safety of the installation shall be not less than that obtained by compliance with the Regulations'. By not fitting an RCD to the circuit, the circuit is less safe than full compliance with the Regulations (ie. fitting an RCD). Departures like use of old colours does not affect the safety of the circuit. To pass that minor works assessment, I believe you should have fitted an RCD protected socket outlet to every socket on that circuit but at almost £30 per socket it would work out quite expensive for the customer. Sounds crazy, but the regulations are regulations and non-compliance with the regulations means non compliance with the EWR 1989 which is statutory.

Don't forget that this is a domestic installation so is not covered by EAWR 1989.

Reply to Minor Works Certificate – Details of Departures from BS7671? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net