Discuss Minor Works Certificate in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

pete0nline

Hello all i am having a problem at work trying to replace some Sockets (like for like) my boss has told me this requires a minor works cert (he wont allow me to write one out) so i dug out the regs book and found the following:

BS 7671:2008 Appendix 6 pg 336 states:
"Minor electrical Installation. Notes:

The Minor works Certificate is intended to be used for additions and alterations to an installation that do not extend to the provision of a new circuit. Examples include the addition of socket outlets or lighting points to an existing circuit, the relocation of a light switch etc. This Certificate may also be used for the replacement of equipment such as accessories or luminaries, but not for the replacement of distribution boards or similar items. Appropriate inspection and testing, however, should always be carried out irrespective of the extent of the work undertaken."

Also pg 163, Chapter 63, 631.3 states:

"Where minor electrical installation work does not include the provision of a new circuit, a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate, based on the model given in Appendix 6, may be provided for each circuit altered or extended as an alternative to an Electrical Installation Certificate."

So does a like for like need a certificate or not or is it just up to the individual ?

Cheers in advance.

P

strictly speaking yes,i am nic reg so i do issue a minor works even for a faceplate change but i do know poeple that dont allways bother.;)

Hello all i am having a problem at work trying to replace some Sockets (like for like) my boss has told me this requires a minor works cert (he wont allow me to write one out) so i dug out the regs book and found the following:

BS 7671:2008 Appendix 6 pg 336 states:
"Minor electrical Installation. Notes:

The Minor works Certificate is intended to be used for additions and alterations to an installation that do not extend to the provision of a new circuit. Examples include the addition of socket outlets or lighting points to an existing circuit, the relocation of a light switch etc. This Certificate may also be used for the replacement of equipment such as accessories or luminaries, but not for the replacement of distribution boards or similar items. Appropriate inspection and testing, however, should always be carried out irrespective of the extent of the work undertaken."

Also pg 163, Chapter 63, 631.3 states:

"Where minor electrical installation work does not include the provision of a new circuit, a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate, based on the model given in Appendix 6, may be provided for each circuit altered or extended as an alternative to an Electrical Installation Certificate."

So does a like for like need a certificate or not or is it just up to the individual ?

Cheers in advance.

P

You have answered your question yourself with 'This Certificate may also be used for the replacement of equipment such as accessories or luminaries' as you have replaced the sockets which are classed as accessories.

got a phone call yesterday to go swap 40 accesories throughout someone's house, just sockets and switches i think.

i was thinking im gonna have to provide countless certs for this maybe 5 or 6 minors.

planned on giving the affected circuits a quick testing obviously to make sure its all ok. as well as checking the main bonding, which ill do first then probably find its not in place, then theyll say oh well ill get dangerous dave to fit the sockets then!

I have contacted the niceic technical department recently with such question, was told if replacing like for like it is classed as maintenence and therefore no certificate of any kind was required.

Quote :You have answered your question yourself with 'This Certificate may also be used for the replacement of equipment such as accessories or luminaries' as you have replaced the sockets which are classed as accessories.

Yes but it does say may, not Shall. So it is more of a case of you can either do it or not up to you as is my interpretation of it.

But thanks for all your replies anyway.

yeah but would you be inclined to do a minor anyway? your messing with a circuit and would probably like to think your fitting / replacing stuff thats all tip top.

any more thoughts or views on this? when nic say you dont need to certify do they mean not to test it as well then??

We are now issuing minor works for replacement as a form of self preservation. Listing what fitting is changed and issuing the cert can come in handy at a later date if you go to do something else, it answers the famous statement of, "it started just after you had been here last time".

I always issue a MWC even for maint work, you never know when you might just need that bit of paperwork to cover your arse.
Case in example (might go on a bit);

Got a call to a firestation to repair a charger lead hanging from the appliance bay ceiling (used to charge the vehicle 24/7), did the work replaced the dura plug (a rubberised safety coupling 3 pin plug/socket) & the curly extention lead terminating into a 16amp commando connector/plug at the wagon, filled out MWC including extent of works undertaken & materials used got bloke in charge to sign work ticket all sorted.

Gets a call three or four weeks later asking me to attend the station & meet up with H&S dept + some officers as a formal investigation was underway due to some firefighter getting a shock off the commando plug on the charging lead.

Gets there & the finger of suspision is being firmly pointed at me;

H&S bird ..... "the station log shows you were the last one here to undertake electrical work, did you or did you not work on this lead"

(no hello how are you so I thought oh **** what have I done & was doubting myself big style)

Officer...."the problem is you have fitted a male 16amp plug not a female as is needed & the injured firefighter got a belt off the pins when he grabbed the plug, when trying to insert it into the appliance charger inlet"

ME......" Yes I did work on this lead, but somebody has changed what I'd done. As you can see the extension lead is now a bit of blue arctic flex, where as the certificate I have brought with me shows it was a white curly extension flex with female commando connector & dura plug"

ME...."If you contact your facilities dept you can confirm this as they will also have a copy of this certificate, that was sent to them the week this work was completed"

So a phone call confirms this & I get an apology, it turns out one of the crew moved the fire engine without removing the lead from the vehicle, the dura plug seperated fell on the floor & they drove over the commando plug & also shredded the curly lead.
One of the crew being an avid caravaner did what he thought was a decent repair using his spare kit.

I get regular calls for maint work around the fire stations now :) as for the lad that got a belt, he was ok just goes to show RCD's are a life saver:D

So always do a cert you never know :cool:

hi im tryin to get me self ready for my assesment with the nic on the green minor works cery where there is a box it says rcd BSEN my rcd is a 4293 im not sure wot type it is tho i think its a type B is this right thnks

Reply to Minor Works Certificate in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock