Discuss minor works/like for like/testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

BES

When or if you complete a minor works cert for like for like replacements do you test every point for R1+R2 and ZS to find furthest point of circuit or just at accessory you have replaced. I discussed this with an other spark, i just test at accessory and note on cert what ive done but he says you should test every point on circuit to find greatest value for circuit. Ive just returned to work after 2 years after a illness.Passed my assesment with Elecsa last month and just wondered what other people do in the real world.
cheers neil.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not think you had to issue a cert for accessorie replacement as you have not made an addition or alteration to the circuit.

cheers jase
yeh i know its not a requirement but ive always thought it looks more professional if a cert is issued but as you say you dont have to just wondered what others do .

Whether you issue a cert or not, or minor or not, my understanding is that you should also test at the furthest point in the circuit to ensure that your 'work' has not affected the part of the circuit beyond the point where you were working to the extent that the test results are out of spec.

if you are going to complete a cert. for the work. readings of R1+R2 and Zs are always the highest readings for the circuit. therefore, you would have to test at the extremity of the circuit (mid-point for a RFC, or extremity of a spur).

So if you replace a transformer on a 12v downlight and you issue a mwc do you open up and test every point on the circuit to find the R1+R2 and ZS.

If its a like for like the test to do is at the point you are doing the swap and as long as the cert states that then its OK. This job is hard enough without loading more and more work on the sparky, as all it does is add time and money for the client.

Whether you issue a Cert. or not.
Your responsibility is to ensure that your work complies.
As such it is only at the point where you have made the allteration or addition that you have to test.
There is no requirement for measuring and recording R1+R2 when issung a MWEIC, just for recording Zs.
Obviously, if you wish to calculate ZS by measuring Ze, R1 and R2, then adding them together, that's up to you.

So ill keep doing what im doing then for a like for like accessory just confirm cpc/earth at the point of replacment,ZS and IR(250v) LN TO E. note on cert. and run away.
cheers neil

Reply to minor works/like for like/testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net