Discuss Minor works - Like for like in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
If a like for like change is done but it's not in compliance with the new regs is a risk assessment always required?

Also where does the "like for like" terminology come from?

that is not like for like. a RCBO is not "like " a MCB., even though it might fit in the same hole. a full test of the circuit and a MWC should be carried out. but i can't see the need for a RA. unless you have H&S numpties aboard.

This is a hypothetical example.

A lighting circuit with no rcd protection. The mcb needs changing for the reason specified by telectrix. Now does it need either an rcd or a risk assessment or can that be skipped.

as i said. a MWC completed for the altered circuit. why a RA? is your company run by snowflakes?

threasd going round in circles. where's buzz when youneed him?

as i said. a MWC completed for the altered circuit. why a RA? is your company run by snowflakes?
The company is ran by curious people.

18th edition ads is not met without rcd I think because of Reg 411.3.4.

Mwc says departures may have a risk assessment "where applicable".

I want to know if this is applicable

As far as I am aware, the requirement for a Risk Assessment when omitting RCD protection, is in relation to socket-outlets intended to be used for specific items of equipment.
The term ‘like for like’ is not used within BS7671.

S
As far as I am aware, the requirement for a Risk Assessment when omitting RCD protection, is in relation to socket-outlets intended to be used for specific items of equipment.
The term ‘like for like’ is not used within BS7671.
Someone just informed me that "like for like" is a part p term.

The requirement for ra for socket not rcd protected is specified but I'm talking about MWC which requires one where "applicable"

Yes I did just inform you.
There is one instance of the term in Approved Document Part P.
Yes you need to attach a documented Risk Assessment to the MEIWC if you are installing a socket-outlet without RCD protection.
If you are not installing a socket-outlet, then it’s not applicable.

A risk assessment is for departures from BS7671, see Regulations 120.3, 133.1.3 and 133.5 for such instances where this may be applicable. The risk assessment must prove that any departures do not affect the safety of the installation and persons using the installation and only apply to alterations and extensions to the circuit.

A risk assessment is for departures from BS7671, see Regulations 120.3, 133.1.3 and 133.5 for such instances where this may be applicable. The risk assessment must prove that any departures do not affect the safety of the installation and persons using the installation and only apply to alterations and extensions to the circuit.
Thanks

Regulation 411.3.3 is the only instance where there is a requirement for a documented Risk Assessment in BS7671.
There are other Regulations where a Risk Assessment is required, but there is no requirement for the Risk Assessment to be documented in those instances.

Reply to Minor works - Like for like in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock